Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail view question: adding dimensions to features outside of view?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tvernonbaker
3771 Views, 5 Replies

Detail view question: adding dimensions to features outside of view?

I'd like to add a dimension from a feature in a detail view to a feature outside the view, exactly like the dimension circled in red below. I cannot find any information on how to do this, but I suspect it is pretty easy!

Can you help?

Detail View with desired Dimension.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: tvernonbaker

If the dimension is in your model try inserting it from your model.

dimensions.PNG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
tvernonbaker
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks, Scott. That was helpful and almost gave me the results I want. The arrowhead and leader now extends outside the detail view (to where the feature would be, if it was shown). See the results, below.

I'd like to show a shortened leader with a double-arrowhead, like the 1.596 REF dimension, but I can't figure out how to replicate it.

Any more advice?2013-03-13_17-11-06.png

Message 4 of 6

Hi tvernonbaker,

It's a bit of chore, but you can find steps to do this at this link, for your situation look toward the bottom at the  Update 3-13-2013 section.

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/02/foreshortened-linear-diameter.html

Also, take a moment and go here and give this a vote for a future improvment idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Foreshortened-Dimension-for-Linear-dimensions/idi...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: tvernonbaker

If you could replicate it through maybe adding a plane or a construction line then dimension it in your model, then insert that dimension.  That would give you those results.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 6

While Curtis's idea and work around are great, I have the situation where I would like to be able to turn off the first leader and extension lines.

Like so. 

dimen.JPG

One should be able to turn these off in the styles.  Not sure if this should be a new idea or not, but this should be an option.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report