Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design of Metal Grate using rectangular array feature

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
northweststavecody
2240 Views, 3 Replies

Design of Metal Grate using rectangular array feature

I am looking to design a grate approximately 5mX10m with holes 250mmX32mm. My first thought was to drawing the outline of the 5mX10m grate, then create an array of tiny 32mmX200mm boxes and extrude the material between the boxes and the boundary frame. Unfortunately when I create the simple array (something like 50box by 120 boxes) inventor keeps freezing I'm thinking this is too large of a patter for inventor.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make the grate in a smarter/ less resource intense manner?

Regards,

Cody

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

@northweststavecody wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make the grate in a smarter/ less resource intense manner?

Regards,

Cody

Cosmetic material texture.  Check out some of the expanded metal textures.

What version of Inventor are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
swalton
in reply to: JDMather

The cosmetic works very well, unless you want to see through the grating in unshaded idw views.  There it fails.

I have had good luck with bar grating by extruding a single bar and then pattering it.  I next extrude a single crossmember and pattern it. 

These are resouce heavy for large assemblies and drawings of large assemblies. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 4
spfurlong
in reply to: swalton

What about the grill feature.  This should work.  I'm about to do the same thing, will try it out and come back to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report