Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design accelerator spur gears

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2560 Views, 6 Replies

Design accelerator spur gears

Dear all,

I am having a problem while making 2 straight spur gears.
The purpose is to connect the crankshaft with the camshaft. Center distance is fixed: 85,5mm.
I would like a ratio of 0,5 with 22 and 44 teeth.
My gears seem to hit eachother. Please find the attached pictures below for a detail and my inputs.

All help is welcome!
Thanks in advance!!!

Gurbe
Knipsel2.JPG

Knipsel.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

The Design Acclerator only creates approximate tooth forms (good enough for show) to keep the file size down.

(sort of like the use of cosmetic threads for thread features)

Most gears are purchased off-the-shelf from gear manufactures.

There is a way to do more precise tooth forms if really needed.

Do you really need precise tooth forms?

Actually, I haven't tested this to see what this actually does.

But you go ahead and create your "cosmetic gears" and then right click on the DA node in the browser

Export Tooth Shape.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

First of all thanks for the quick response!
Since these gears are custom-made, I really want to verify if the models are correct.
What is the other way to do more precise tooth forms? Draw them yourself?
Kind regards!
Message 4 of 7
graemev
in reply to: Anonymous

"Draw them yourself?"

Or ask a friend.  Smiley Happy

Modify to suit using the User parameters, and have a good day.  (Note that this gear uses the imperial pitch system, not metric module system.  Convert as required.)

Message 5 of 7
Codered741
in reply to: graemev

You can also right click on the face of the gear, and select Export face. This will export the true gear profile to a .DXF.
Message 6 of 7
olivier.vin
in reply to: JDMather

oh man thank you! i have been looking for hours to find the exact curve, i thought it was broken... 🙂 i need the exact cruve to be able to print them.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
BRUND
in reply to: olivier.vin

I always feel like I'm eaves dropping on someone else's conversation when I give some advice, but there is an excellent table driven involute gear from www.cbliss.com that I use.  It is imperial, but when I have non standard pitch diameters, I just scale them up or down with the direct edit scale command. I have personally laser and waterjet cut parts and get good results. In my experience it generates a profile with zero tooth clearance.  You might have to do a small offset on the exterior profile to gain some clearance depending on your application/tolerances.  Check out the www.cbliss.com website for other neat models.  It's not as well updated as it used to be because there are so many websites/vendors providing users with 3d data, but it still has some pretty neat stuff.  The roller chain is a good example. 

Good luck,

Ben R

INVOLUTE GEAR STEP 1.pngINVOLUTE GEAR STEP 2.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report