Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistant

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Falxone
1600 Views, 9 Replies

Design Assistant

Hi All. Help me please with one question.

There is four options when you work with *ipt and *iam files. "Rename" "Copy" "Replace" and "Cancel"

And three options when you work with *.idw files. "Copy" "Cancel" "update" But no Option "Rename"

So the question is:

How to rename *.idw  files automaticly when yo raneme *ipt and *iam files in design assistant. Is it possible?

P.s. Sorry for bad English.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
IgorMir
in reply to: Falxone

I am not sure if you can do it automatically in DA. (I don't mind to be proved wrong butSmiley Happy) I rename them in old fashion way - in Windows Explore.

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 10
SBix26

As I understand it, DA does not allow renaming of a file unless it is referenced by another one.  So, if you open an assembly in DA, you can't rename that assembly, or if you open a derived part, you can rename the part it is derived from, but not the derived part itself.  I can't explain why, but that is how it works, in my experience.

Message 4 of 10
Falxone
in reply to: SBix26

Yes i know that, but I'm not opening the dwg file, and trying to rename it. I choose to open a whole assembly, and then I allocate all ipt and iam files and pick an option "Find all", and it shows me all drawnings, which means all my dwg files are  derived from my assembly, but there is no option "rename", i can just copy it with new names, and then delete an old one.

Sokolovsky. K.

Message 5 of 10
SBix26

Drawings are not referenced by any other files, so there are no links that will be lost if they are renamed in the ordinary Windows Explorer way.  I don't know why that should prevent them from also being renamed in DA, but that seems to be the case.

Like Igor, I just take care of drawing names separate from DA.

Message 6 of 10
PaulMunford

Your drawing references your assembly - not the other way around. There is no need to rename the drawings via the design assistant, you can just rename them in Windows. It won't do them any harm.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 7 of 10
Falxone

No, there is one link that will be lost. When yo open the assembly, a gearbox for example, and then you click on the right mouse button on the gear wheel for example and choose an option "open dwawning" if it has the same name as wheel it will be open, if its not than it wount.

Sokolovsky K.

Message 8 of 10
SBix26

That's true, but there's no link embedded in the assembly file, it only depends on the files having the same name.  DA has not had any updates since long before that right click>Open Drawing function was added.  I, too, would like to be able to rename any file in Design Assistant, but I can also understand the logic for not being able to.

Message 9 of 10
Falxone

It's pitty =( Anyway thx for helping, at least now I know that there is no such option.

Sokolovsky K.

P.s. Sorry for bad English

Message 10 of 10
Raider_71

Hi guys we have developed a free app called Design Cloner. I think it could help you with what you were explaining.

Have a look and let me know.

You can get it here: http://www.mgfx.co.za/tools-for-inventor.htm

Cheers

Pieter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report