Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deriving a part

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
albmopar
783 Views, 11 Replies

Deriving a part

I am deriving a part that is a mirror image of the part.  I want the geometry to change between the parts, but I have an emboss on the surface that mirrors with the solid.  How do I exclude this from the derived part

Inventor Simulation 2010  64-bit

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mikejones
in reply to: albmopar

The derive will mirror the whole part as you are finding so the workaround will be to put the emboss on the derived/mirrored part rather than the original.

Hope that helps

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 12
Cadmanto

In trying to understand what you are describing, you have one part (A) that is a mirror of another part (B), and you want the features between parts A and B to change together so that they are always the same or are you saying you want them to change independantly?  Just trying to figure out if derived is the way you really want to go.

If you provided an image of what you are trying to do and which feature you want excluded that would be most helpful.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

Attach your file(s) here if you can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
albmopar
in reply to: JDMather

Message 6 of 12
albmopar

Sorry this is the other file -2 is derived from -1.  But I want to segregate the emboss, i.e. suppress it from -2 and recreate it in -2 correctly

Message 7 of 12
JDMather

I assume you also want it to remain in the parent part.

I think you will have to extrude a rectangle to fill the material and then recreate the Emboss.

BTW - Sketch4 is missing a constraint, be careful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
coreyparks

For what it's worth, when I have done parts like this in the past I create the base part that will be used for both finished parts and then I derive that part into both of the finished components and add all of the extra relevant features.  Start with Part A and then derive into parts 1 and 2 so both finished parts are derived from the base part.  This way there is no creating a feature to remove another feature, which I hate to do.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 9 of 12
albmopar

When I did this, part B auto updates.

Message 10 of 12
coreyparks
in reply to: coreyparks

See attached for reference.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 11 of 12
JDMather

@albmopar wrote:

When I did this, part B auto updates.

When you did what?
I don't understand the problem?

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
albmopar
in reply to: coreyparks

Ahh I see.  Its all making sense.  Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report