Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth/Height Dimensions in Drawings

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
detent
2250 Views, 4 Replies

Depth/Height Dimensions in Drawings

Hello

I have long been vexed by the following problem:

DRAWINGS: I need to prepare a plan view of a complex part, which incorporates many different (parallel) heights. In the drawing, all of these faces are parallel to the plane of the drawing itself. There are far to many of them to show their heights using section views. The usual drawing convention in this case is to simply indicate each face on the drawing, and then express its height relative to a reference plane.

Until now, I have been doing this simply by measuring a height from the part, and then indicating it on the drawing by adding leaders and text, which:

1. Is extremely laborious

2. Obviously has no intelligent link to the actual part/drawing

My breadth of knowledge in CAD is not huge, but I know that in Gibbscam, for example, after setting the position of the origin in 3 planes, if I then pass the cursor over any parallel plane in the z direction while pressing alt, I will get the distance of that plane from z=0.

What I want is the possibility in Inventor to select a face in a drawing, which is in the same plane as the drawing, and straight away be given it's height relative to a parallel reference plane. Such a value should then update intelligently on the drawing if I modify that same height on the part.

Does such a possibility exist with Inventor? Have I missed something in a very big way on this?

Many thanks for your help

Stephen

Inventor 2009

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Francis.Foley
in reply to: detent

Could you use ordinate dimensions?

Message 3 of 5
detent
in reply to: Francis.Foley

Hello Francis Unless I am mistaken, ordinate dimensions only allow you to indicate dimensions in the x and y directions of the drawing. I want to indicate the relative depth of faces which are perpendicular to your line of sight as you look at the drawing. Imagine you are looking down on a lego brick, which is sitting with the studs facing up towards your eyes. I want a drawing of this image, on which, relative to the base of the block, I can indicate the height of the surfaces of the studs, as well as the height of the main body of the brick. I want dimensions to be intelligent - not just that I use text and a leader to enter a value which I have preciously measured from the model. Stephen
Message 4 of 5
Francis.Foley
in reply to: detent

I understand now, you want to put the equivalent of contour height marks on your drawing!

I don't think that is possible!

Message 5 of 5
detent
in reply to: Francis.Foley

Right!!!! Stephen McDonnell Rue du Puits Godet 8 2000 Neuch?tel Switzerland Tel: +41 79 775 6903 Email: smcdonnell@net2000.ch

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report