Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demoted parts - sub assembly cannot be saved or opened

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
feet_first
765 Views, 7 Replies

Demoted parts - sub assembly cannot be saved or opened

I demoted some parts in the assembly browser and sucessfully made a sub assembly.  But I can't open it or save it.  I can edit it.  Once the top level assembly is saved the sub assembly I created is gone and nowhere to be found.  Has anyone else had this problem?  It is the first time for me.

Inventor 2011 Windows 7 64 bit 

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: feet_first

After you create he sub assembly you need to save the top level assembly in order to create the new file.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
feet_first

I did save the top level assembly after I created the sub assembly before I posted this so I am still looking for a solution

Message 4 of 8

Hi feet_first, 

Is it possible that Extrusion 6 was updset by the Demote action? If so, does deleting or fixing Extrusion 6 resolve the issue?

Autodesk Inventor Can't Edit Demoted Part.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 8
feet_first

Good observation but deleting it did not help.  Extrusion 6 did not affect any of the parts in the demoted assembly

Message 6 of 8
feet_first

I turned out the problem was with my PDM system (SolidWorks Enterprise PDM) .  The individual components you are planning to demote need to be checked out before you create the new sub assembly.  I did not need to do this workaround with Inventor Vault

Message 7 of 8
mrattray

Why would you use Dassault's PDM for Inventor files?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 8
feet_first

I use Enterprise PDM for Inventor files because it supports multiple CAD platforms better  and works better than Inventor Vault .  I have deployed and administered Inventor Vault, ProjectWise  and SolidWorks Enterprise PDM systems.  There are all about the same as far as purpose but you might not know what you are missing if all you have used are AutoDesk offerings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report