Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting constraints in an assy

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
divingdoug
411 Views, 7 Replies

Deleting constraints in an assy

Why is it when I select multiple contraints for a component that I can use the delete key on the keyboard to eliminate them but when I select only a single constraint, I have to reight click and select delete on the context menu.  The delete key will not work  on a single constraint.

Very frustrating

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: divingdoug

When you select a single constraint, the offset amount of the constraint is the focus. So, when you press the delete key, it deletes the offset value.

When you multi-select more than one constraint, the focus is not on the offset value (it wouldnt know which value to select). So, when you hit delete, it deletes the constraints.

If you want consistency, always use the context menu.... "Delete" is always in there.

Message 3 of 8
divingdoug

I guess my idea of consistency would be for the selection result to be consistent.

I am of the mindset that if I have to change my methods due to the app changing it's, it is a workaround.

Reason behind the issue noted all the same

Message 4 of 8
ampster402

don't take this wrong, but you seem like yet another user who is commited to fighting the software rather than adapting to it.

I'll bow out now.

Good Luck!

Message 5 of 8
divingdoug
in reply to: ampster402

All I can say is that, if I am yet another, then there must be a reason there are as many as there are.

Message 6 of 8
karthur1

@divingdoug wrote:

I guess my idea of consistency would be for the selection result to be consistent.

I'm just guessing, but I think the reason its that way is cause "most" of the time, when you select a constraint, you are wanting to edit it.... Thats why the offset value is the focus.

What do you mean by "selection result"?

Message 7 of 8
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: ampster402

At least there is a reason, apparently, behind the odd functionality.

Ampster, Often it isn't a case of fighting the software, but more a case of "all the other software I have used behave in a certain way. Why doesn't it work here?" Either that or, "I can't find any documentation on this. I wonder why it behaves this way?"

Not trying to fight the software, but I wish I could figure out why it does what it does so I could hole my tongue correctly and select things in the right order to get the results I desire.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 8 of 8
ampster402
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

or

only when the planets are aligned in a certain manner will that function work.

Believe JD used something like that statement a few times!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report