Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Bitmap Reference in IDW

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
john.gusic
3106 Views, 14 Replies

Delete Bitmap Reference in IDW

Folks,

I have asked this question over in the Vault area with no luck.

Currently running INV 11.

Way back when we first started using INV (R5) we used a bitmap in our titleblock for our company logo. Since then, we have moved to using vault last year and this bitmap is causing major headaches since its original location was no in a library file, but stored in our template file area.

Every time we attempted to add a new IDW to the Vault, Vault would kick it back of course saying a file by that name already exists in Vault. To get around this, we have reworked our titleblocks and have used a DXF file for our logo instead of a bitmap. This works on new IDW's just fine, but editing any previous drawing now causes problems with uploading to vault.

The only way I have found to purge this bitmap from the IDW reference is to start a new IDW and copy the views while inserting the new titleblock.

I have tried everything I know and our dealer is of no help (they have no clue either) in purging for lack of a better term, from the IDW reference.

So, is there a way to clear this reference from the current IDW without having to recreate new drawings?

I have tried to edit the (bad) titleblock and deleted the bitmap out of it, but when trying to then save the file to vault, the vault tree still shows a 3rd party reference which is this bitmap! Copying over the new (good) titleblock does not work either as the IDW keeps the this bitmap reference even though the file does not exist anywhere in the drawing or any of the sketched symbols.

Any ideas would be appreciated in how to rid this bitmap reference from our titleblocks without recreating entirely new drawings.

thanks,

john
CAD Supervisor, Atlas Copco Compressors
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
-niels-
in reply to: john.gusic

Would the "drawing resource transfer wizard" be any help?
(start > all programs > autodesk > autodesk inventor *version* > tools)

I'm not familiar with vault and how it handles "OLE" links, but maybe the transfer wizard can replace your old title blocks with the corrected ones.
Maybe even a bitmap could work as long as you don't "LINK" to the .bmp file...
(it's a checkbox on image insertion)

Just a suggestion, hope it is of some value.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 15
john.gusic

Niels,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it does not work.

Secondly, we've been through the "link" no link item and it does not work either.

What I am talking about here, is at one time our TB had the logo mapped (linked and then inserted again, unlinked). When the drawing file is loaded to Vault, it also carries with it the bmp file whether linked or unlinked.

Now, I want to edit the TB and remove the bitmap. I delete the bitmap from the TB and save the changes. The bitmap is no longer there within the TB but it is STILL somewhere in the IDW reference because when I try to now add the file to Vault, Vault comes back and says the file xxx.bmp is already in the Vault.

If I go and look at the properties under the Vault tab, it lists all the files associated with the IDW I want to upload to Vault. Low and behold, it lists 3rd Party files along with any Inventor files such as ipt's associated with the IDW file. Under the 3rd party heading is the xxx.bmp even though it is no where to be found within the current idw. Somehow, Inventor is holding on to the reference even though the file is no longer part of the titleblocks or within the sketched symbols.

Like I said, when I showed it to our dealer, they were stumped and basically said, "go fish".

john
Message 4 of 15
mbrumbelow4534

Hey John,

Just wondering if you have had any luck with this as we are having the same exact problem as you. We have old drawings with a TB that has a .bmp image inserted in it that was linked at the time. We have deleted the image our of the drawing, yet the link reference still exists and I have no clue how to get rid of it.
Message 5 of 15
mbrumbelow4534

John,

I did some more searching around and I have found a solution. I have no clue how it works, but it does. It uses a macro to delete the embedded link. Here are the directions:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=6034348&linkID=9242018
Message 6 of 15
RubenCabreros

I was able to delet the link/.bmp file by deleting the Sheet, then clicking the Undo button to bring back the sheet.  For some reason it left the .bmp file out.  

Message 7 of 15

Hi RubenCabreros,

The messages in this thread refer to older versions of Inventor. For Inventor 2011 and forward I think you can you use the Links button found on the Tools tab to do this in the future.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

This image borrowed from this link

Message 8 of 15

Curtis,

Thanks for the info.  It doesn't allow me to break the link on most of the .bmp files and I still can't delete the bitmap in my drawing.  Deleting the Sheet and Undo is the only way to do it so far.

Message 9 of 15
jamjumpin
in reply to: RubenCabreros

I was having this problem and it was because the bmp was in one of the title block templates that we don't use anymore. Deleting the title block fixed it.
Message 10 of 15
knowga
in reply to: jamjumpin

Well...whats working for me so far is to go too the Tools tab, click on Links (this is in Inv 2013 by the way) find the bitmap ref that has no next to it...break its link...click on done then save the drawing. The bitmap disappears from the folder reference in the sidebar and i can save/vault the file

regards

Gary
Message 11 of 15
jamjumpin
in reply to: knowga

Doesn't allow me to break any links.

It says underneath that list 'make sure the document is writable before you
break the link.'

Which document is it specifically referring to?
Message 12 of 15
knowga
in reply to: jamjumpin

I found an idw with the same error. I set it at read only and read / write...in both cases it allowed me to break the link. You need to find out why you aren't able to break the link. Is the drawing folder read only? The bitmap is only in the drawing not the part...so I'd say the document referred to is the idw/dwg.
Message 13 of 15
knowga

i will also add that when I click on break the link..NOTHING happens on screen...the bmp still appears to be there BUT as soon as I save the drawing...the link disappears and all thats left is the part & idw.
Message 14 of 15
jamjumpin

I have like 25 links, many of them multiples and I can't break any of them. Most of them say 'resolved - no' but I can't even break the ones that say yes. Type states 'unknown type' for most of them, but I can't break the ones that are known either.
Message 15 of 15

Curtis:

This helped me.

Thank you for the tip.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report