Inventor General

*Les Edwards
Message 1 of 4 (35 Views)

Defraging

35 Views, 3 Replies
11-11-2004 06:47 PM
About a year ago I defragged my computer and couldn't start Inventor afterward. I have XP so I restored my previous settings. I need to defrag again, and I am afraid to. Are there any things that I can do without jeopardizing my Inventor? As usual, I need your help. Les Edwards
*Finnur P. Frodason
Message 2 of 4 (35 Views)

Re: Defraging

11-12-2004 12:21 AM in reply to: *Les Edwards
I use Diskeeper a couple of times a week and have done for years. It has never had bad any effect in IV. I would avoid using System Mechanic et al. where there is a combination of registry cleaning, defragging and other things combined. Some of the registry cleaners are doubtful and I have been burned although Registry Mechanic seems to work. Any work on the registry should be done with care :-) rgds -- IV 9 / AIP 9 Finnur P. Frodason HP X4000 - dual Xeon 2.4 XP Pro SP 2 - 2GB mem Nvidia Quadro 4 980 "Les Edwards" wrote in message news:41942446_3@newsprd01... > About a year ago I defragged my computer and couldn't start Inventor > afterward. I have XP so I restored my previous settings. I need to > defrag again, and I am afraid to. Are there any things that I can do > without jeopardizing my Inventor? As usual, I need your help. > > Les Edwards > >
*cbliss
Message 3 of 4 (35 Views)

11-12-2004 07:39 AM in reply to: *Les Edwards
I have used both the built in defragging in XP and the defragging from Symantec. I haven't had any problems with Inventor launching afterward. I have even stopped both defraggers mid process without problems (except you can end up with a more fragmented HD). Les Edwards wrote: >About a year ago I defragged my computer and couldn't start Inventor >afterward. I have XP so I restored my previous settings. I need to defrag >again, and I am afraid to. Are there any things that I can do without >jeopardizing my Inventor? As usual, I need your help. > >Les Edwards > > > >
Distinguished Contributor
Message 4 of 4 (35 Views)

11-12-2004 07:47 AM in reply to: *Les Edwards
I have used the Windows defragger every 3 or 4 months and have not had any problems.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube