Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default settings for "prompted entry" Properties

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
UKJT
2703 Views, 9 Replies

Default settings for "prompted entry" Properties

Hi Chaps
I'm trying to set up some new title blocks, I have some "prompted entry" Properties that I want to incorporate, I've got them in the title blocks OK but I can't seem to get em to return a default value, the prompts are all coming in blank when the dialog box comes up. I have set the defaults to what I need on the original ANSI template with the new title block, but when I create a new drawing using that template, the title block comes in without any values set. Is there a way of setting them to return a default value initially that you would change if required, I'm sure I'm missing something very basic!!
Also, in the 'edit property' fields dialog box, there does not seem to be a way of inserting symbols into the value field, have I not turned on the right variable, or missed have I something else??
Any ideas / suggestions would be gratefully received.
TIA
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mflayler2
in reply to: UKJT

You are not missing anything, this is not done with Prompted Entries. You could add it as an AUGI wish if you like.
To solve your issue though, do you routinely have this as a default in what percentage of your drawings?
If it is a high value just add a Custom iProperty to the Drawing and Map it to that instead of a Prompted Entry. Once done in your titleblock you can just change it in the iProperties when it is not the default.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 10
bghagerii

My biggest pain is having to always switch to Prompted.  Is there a way to change the default to prompted?

Message 4 of 10
swhite

I would suggest if you want default values then set up custom fields in the iproperties, instead of prompted enteries. You can then set a default value and if you need to change it on a per drawing basis you just go to the iproperties > custom tab, select the one you want, change the entery and click modify. or they can be left blank and filled in if needed. Any changes to one custom field will not affect any other drawing.

Custom.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 10
bghagerii
in reply to: swhite

That one I know.  I can minipulate it all day long.  This is the one I am interested in trying to reset which shows as default (All or Prompted - sometime other fields).

edit property fields.jpg

Message 6 of 10
mrattray
in reply to: swhite

This is what I do, but I go a step further and add the properties to an iLogic form for easier access. (I see you're on 2011, so that's not an option for you.)

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 10
bghagerii

Actually, we are using 2012.  I've used iLogic, but Inventor's listing capabilities over re-building our products for iLogic use.

Message 8 of 10
mrattray
in reply to: bghagerii

My reply was to Steven. He has 2011 in his signature.
I don't know any way to do what you are asking.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 10
bghagerii
in reply to: mrattray

Okay. There may be no way of setting it for default except maybe
through the computers registry, but that can have bad results.

Ben Hager / Senior Engineer

704.508.7050 Direct

888.440.8205 Toll Free

704.528.6519 Fax

www.jasperlibraryfurniture.com
Message 10 of 10
swhite
in reply to: bghagerii

I used 2012 in my previous job, and I have yet to find a way to set a default for a prompted entry. You can have an ilogic form in 2012 or later pop up and ask for entries, with a given default, but otherwise I don't think there is a specific way just with propmpted entries, unless one of the later versions after 2012 added this capability.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums