Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default project setting

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
AdrianT
2792 Views, 1 Reply

Default project setting

Any Inventor always has a project name called 'Default', and strangely the projection location field is blank. I never use it, and specifically use project files appropriate to what we are working on. 

However my question is: what is the usefulness of this project file? I have a collague that insists activating it is perfect for resolving links etc. when renaming/making copies of models. I don't have the time to experiment with it and to my knowledge of working with Inventor for many years now I find using something like Design Assisant and a specific project file in a location other than my current projects is 100% safe and I never have problems with non-unique file names or any missing links or unresolved parts/assemblies or multiple sub-assemblies, and many models are powered by Excel sheets too. This 'Default' project file just seems dangerous, or am I wrong? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Adrian

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
JanVarholik
in reply to: AdrianT

This is copy/paste from autodesk wiki about the Default project:

When you install Autodesk Inventor, it installs a "Default" project automatically. If you do not create a project or specify a different project, when you start working in Inventor a default project is automatically active. You can use it to create designs immediately and save files anywhere without regard to projects and file management. Your files are saved to the default project.

The default project does not define an editable location. However, you can use it to create designs immediately and save files anywhere without regard to projects and file management. Your files are saved to the default project. Generally, you use the default project for experimentation only, not actual design work. It is easier to set up a project before you start designing. It is more difficult to migrate your files to a project after the design becomes complex.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report