Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default path for opening files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
275 Views, 6 Replies

Default path for opening files

The helpdesk guy has given up on us so here is our third major problem for the day. We have just converted to working in semi-isolated mode and have a problem with the default folder when you want to open a file. From about four projects I created when you press open, one jumps to workspace (on local machine), two jump to workgroup (on server) and one jumps to another workgroup path. There seems to be no consistancy. I thought I created the projects all using the same method on order. How do I set what the default path should be?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We really need some help on this. Any ideas.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hi!
I am not sure how you set up your project files but here are some guidelines.
When working in semi-isolated environment, the point is that you should only work locally when editing a part. You use the check out process to place the part locally. All other parts in the assembly are still on the server. (All other users can then see if some files are checked out or not.)
Suggested; create a *.ipj file which is placed on the server. That file should contain a workgroup with all wanted paths, and library search-paths if you have any. Then every user should have their own projectfile with their own private workspace (locally). That projectfile should have the server *.ipj as an included file.

When I read what problem you have, I am almost certain that you have some missing paths in the projectfiles.

/Pep
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you for your reply. It would seem that we have everything set up correctly. On the server we have our project set up. This is set to semi-isolated. There are no workSPACE or local paths defined (ie they appear greyed out). Library paths and workGROUP are defined plus a couple of other workGROUP paths (which are parts referenced from other machines/projects).
On our local drive we have the local project set up. This is the one we 'Apply' to work in. The workSPACE is defined as the local C drive and the project is referenced to the project on the server, (therefore all the search paths that are defined by the server project appear in the project diologue box greyed). Multi user is set to semi-iosolated. Everything works really well; ie we open our assembly check out parts which saves them to our local drive, edit them, check back in which removes them from our local drive and updates the files back on the server. The only problem is that when we select open file the default file is not the workGROUP. We would like to tell the computer when we select OPEN (or save for that matter) go to the workGROUP as a default.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

We are using "shared" environment, and only have 3 different workgroups for the shared project. We found that the default path on open was the top workgroup path after IV sorted the 3 paths alphabetically... so we had to rename the folders to get the desired result.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I was wondering if that was your problem. It has already been logged as a defect. Correct behavior is it should default to the workspace.

Rich Thomas
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

It would be best if it defaulted to the workgroup. That way if you open a file that is not checked out, it will go ahead and open it. If you select a file in the workgroup that is checked out it will come up with the message that it is checked out and asks would you like to open that file (on the local drive)instead, which you would then select yes. That way there are no conflicts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report