Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Dimension Style

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
216 Views, 11 Replies

Default Dimension Style

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to select/change the default dimension style. If I go into a legacy IDW file and place a dimension - the default dimension style is the one I used in that drawing (ANSI-MM in this case). If I start a new drawing from the new template I created for this project, the default Dimension Style is "By Standard (Default (ANSI)" which is inches. Format/Styles Editor is where I would think we specify which style to use as default. I can see all the available styles - but no way of specifying which one to use as default for the "Default Standard". As I said, this is a legacy Project I'm working in and I "Use Styles Library" set to NO in my Project File.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Once you figure this one out, styles become easier to understand. The default settings are under the Object Defaults node. Each dimension tyle can be set to a different standard. Select the Active Standard, and then make changes under Object Defaults. See attached. Neil "Ron Crain" wrote in message news:40fb46a8$1_2@newsprd01... > For the life of me, I can't figure out how to select/change the default > dimension style. > If I go into a legacy IDW file and place a dimension - the default dimension > style is the one I used in that drawing (ANSI-MM in this case). > > If I start a new drawing from the new template I created for this project, > the default Dimension Style is "By Standard (Default (ANSI)" which is > inches. > > Format/Styles Editor is where I would think we specify which style to use as > default. I can see all the available styles - but no way of specifying > which one to use as default for the "Default Standard". > > As I said, this is a legacy Project I'm working in and I "Use Styles > Library" set to NO in my Project File. > > >
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Of course that should be "dimenison type" ...sheeesh. Neil "Neil Munro" wrote in message news:40fb512f_1@newsprd01... > Once you figure this one out, styles become easier to understand. The > default settings are under the Object Defaults node. Each dimension tyle can > be set to a different standard. Select the Active Standard, and then make > changes under Object Defaults. > > See attached. > > Neil > > > > > "Ron Crain" wrote in message news:40fb46a8$1_2@newsprd01... > > For the life of me, I can't figure out how to select/change the default > > dimension style. > > If I go into a legacy IDW file and place a dimension - the default > dimension > > style is the one I used in that drawing (ANSI-MM in this case). > > > > If I start a new drawing from the new template I created for this project, > > the default Dimension Style is "By Standard (Default (ANSI)" which is > > inches. > > > > Format/Styles Editor is where I would think we specify which style to use > as > > default. I can see all the available styles - but no way of specifying > > which one to use as default for the "Default Standard". > > > > As I said, this is a legacy Project I'm working in and I "Use Styles > > Library" set to NO in my Project File. > > > > > > > > >
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks a bunch Neil! "Neil Munro" wrote in message news:40fb512f_1@newsprd01... | Once you figure this one out, styles become easier to understand. The | default settings are under the Object Defaults node. Each dimension tyle can | be set to a different standard. Select the Active Standard, and then make | changes under Object Defaults. | | See attached. | | Neil | | | | | "Ron Crain" wrote in message news:40fb46a8$1_2@newsprd01... | > For the life of me, I can't figure out how to select/change the default | > dimension style. | > If I go into a legacy IDW file and place a dimension - the default | dimension | > style is the one I used in that drawing (ANSI-MM in this case). | > | > If I start a new drawing from the new template I created for this project, | > the default Dimension Style is "By Standard (Default (ANSI)" which is | > inches. | > | > Format/Styles Editor is where I would think we specify which style to use | as | > default. I can see all the available styles - but no way of specifying | > which one to use as default for the "Default Standard". | > | > As I said, this is a legacy Project I'm working in and I "Use Styles | > Library" set to NO in my Project File. | > | > | > | | |
Message 5 of 12
jptuttle

Neil,

Not to change the subject, but I downloaded an Ipart that you did for SHCS-English-UNC. My question to you...just where in the heck did you come up with the HEAD DIAMETER dimensions????? Not to discredit you ability or anything of such...just trying to understand where you got your information from. They DO NOT coinside with English-UNC dimensions that I am familiar with. What gives?

I.e., I first noticed this slight error when I inserted a 5/8-unc and the head dia. was .930 inches, when, according to any chart I look at, says it should be .875 inches. Why the differnece?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jay
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Wow, that's old. Someone (Sean?) actually modified my part so I can at least spread the blame. I would have used dimensions from the Machinery's Handbook. Neil "jptuttle" wrote in message news:22431377.1090245441493.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Neil, > > Not to change the subject, but I downloaded an Ipart that you did for SHCS-English-UNC. My question to you...just where in the heck did you come up with the HEAD DIAMETER dimensions????? Not to discredit you ability or anything of such...just trying to understand where you got your information from. They DO NOT coinside with English-UNC dimensions that I am familiar with. What gives? > > I.e., I first noticed this slight error when I inserted a 5/8-unc and the head dia. was .930 inches, when, according to any chart I look at, says it should be .875 inches. Why the differnece? > > Thanks in advance for your help, > Jay
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

The Head dimension for a 5/8 UNC on my trusty old HOLO-CHROME Socket Screw Selector Chart is listed as 15/16" MAX (0.9375"), leading me to believe Neil's data is correct. What chart's did you use? Bob S. "Neil Munro" wrote in message news:40fbe12a$1_1@newsprd01... > Wow, that's old. Someone (Sean?) actually modified my part so I can at least > spread the blame. I would have used dimensions from the Machinery's > Handbook. > > Neil > > > > "jptuttle" wrote in message > news:22431377.1090245441493.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Neil, > > > > Not to change the subject, but I downloaded an Ipart that you did for > SHCS-English-UNC. My question to you...just where in the heck did you come > up with the HEAD DIAMETER dimensions????? Not to discredit you ability or > anything of such...just trying to understand where you got your information > from. They DO NOT coinside with English-UNC dimensions that I am familiar > with. What gives? > > > > I.e., I first noticed this slight error when I inserted a 5/8-unc and the > head dia. was .930 inches, when, according to any chart I look at, says it > should be .875 inches. Why the differnece? > > > > Thanks in advance for your help, > > Jay > >
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

That sounds right (.9375) - head dia's for 1/4 and up are 1.5X the nominal dia., head thickness is nominal dia. -Russ "Bob S." wrote in message news:40fbe8cb_2@newsprd01... > The Head dimension for a 5/8 UNC on my trusty old HOLO-CHROME Socket Screw > Selector Chart is listed as 15/16" MAX (0.9375"), leading me to believe Neil's data is correct. > What chart's did you use? > > Bob S. > > "Neil Munro" wrote in message news:40fbe12a$1_1@newsprd01... > > Wow, that's old. Someone (Sean?) actually modified my part so I can at least > > spread the blame. I would have used dimensions from the Machinery's > > Handbook. > > > > Neil
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

I would agree, my Machinery's Handbook says Head Diameter for 5/8 is 0.938 Mike "Bob S." wrote in message news:40fbe8cb_2@newsprd01... > The Head dimension for a 5/8 UNC on my trusty old HOLO-CHROME Socket Screw > Selector Chart is listed as 15/16" MAX (0.9375"), leading me to believe Neil's data is correct. > What chart's did you use? > > Bob S. > > "Neil Munro" wrote in message news:40fbe12a$1_1@newsprd01... > > Wow, that's old. Someone (Sean?) actually modified my part so I can at least > > spread the blame. I would have used dimensions from the Machinery's > > Handbook. > > > > Neil > > > > > > > > "jptuttle" wrote in message > > news:22431377.1090245441493.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > Neil, > > > > > > Not to change the subject, but I downloaded an Ipart that you did for > > SHCS-English-UNC. My question to you...just where in the heck did you come > > up with the HEAD DIAMETER dimensions????? Not to discredit you ability or > > anything of such...just trying to understand where you got your information > > from. They DO NOT coinside with English-UNC dimensions that I am familiar > > with. What gives? > > > > > > I.e., I first noticed this slight error when I inserted a 5/8-unc and the > > head dia. was .930 inches, when, according to any chart I look at, says it > > should be .875 inches. Why the differnece? > > > > > > Thanks in advance for your help, > > > Jay > > > > > >
Message 10 of 12
jptuttle

Sorry, MY mistake....everyone here is correct, except for ME.
I should have checked the Mach. Handbook, but being in a hurry as I was, I didn't give it a second thought when someone handed me that freaking Holo-Chrome selector! Therefore, I undid my file and overwrote with your original file. My opologies times a million. Can I ever be forgiven?
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Gee, my Holo-Chrome Selector was right, but it is quite old. Had it since I was a Tool & Die Maker probably at least 15 years ago. It is Selector #485-I and it supercedes Selector 682-I. But perhaps you looked at the 5/8 O.D. Shoulder Screw entry on the opposite side that has a 5/16-18 thread and a head dia. of .875" by mistake? This is the one shown in the chart's default "centered" position. Bob S. P.S. Why are you asking to be forgiven when you clearly placed the blame on the Holo-Chrome Selector, or am I mis-reading that statement? (further political and religious commentary edited out prior to posting!) ;-) "jptuttle" wrote in message news:808677.1090255409210.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Sorry, MY mistake....everyone here is correct, except for ME. > I should have checked the Mach. Handbook, but being in a hurry as I was, I didn't give it a second thought when someone handed me that freaking Holo-Chrome selector! Therefore, I undid my file and overwrote with your original file. My opologies times a million. Can I ever be forgiven?
Message 12 of 12
jptuttle

No, I was looking at the correct item on the Holo-Krome selector. 5/8 SHCS, which shows a .875 dia. head. This particular Holo-Krome selector is sooooo old, it doesn't even have a template/model # on it! This thing is well over 25 years old. I just threw it away! Yes, I should have blamed it on "!@#$%" Holo-Krome!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report