Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deeper into sketched symbols

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
578 Views, 7 Replies

Deeper into sketched symbols

Hi all,

I have so many questions and know nothing about vba and such. I have spare time for R&D so most of my days are spent reading different threads and browsing on the web for answers. I'm sorry if my questions are stupid since most of you seem experts, but I'm still a beginner.

1) Is it possible to add a pulldown menu in a prompted sketched symbol to select predetermined values instead of typing them ourselves? I would like for the symbol to behaviour to be similar to a cad dynamic block.

2) I'm looking to know if we can add simple rules in prompted entries? What I wish to accomplish is to have a default value that fits our need 80% of the time and for exceptions we can write in a different value when prompted. I know we can edit text after inserting symbols but we are rushed quite often and manual editing can be forgotten.

I wish to learn how to do this stuff step by step, I don't want to be handed already done solutions. But you have to be patient because this is all new to me. Normally I'm a user and know I have to be a doer.

Thanks a lot.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
douthett
in reply to: Anonymous

I can kind of get what you want with the symbol but to do so you have to make it a 'Custom Properties - drawing' and combine that with Design Checker.  I'm not sure if it's what you want

Message 3 of 8
mrattray

I don't think you can do what you want using prompted entry. It could be done if you're OK with using either custom properties or parameters that live in the drawing, but this means you can only have one of each property that will only ever have one value.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 8
douthett
in reply to: mrattray

Unless you combine it with Design Checker which is from Autodesk Labs then you can have multi values

Message 5 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: douthett

Oh, I'm not familiar with Design Checker. So, I'll take your word for it.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: mrattray

This would be an awesome addition.

Now, if you use Vault you can create a symbol set to use a custom iproperty and have THAT grab it's value from Vault... and in Vault you can set properties to use list values.  Bit of a long way 'round though for what should be a simple task.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks to all.

I had such big expectations for this program but it's not cut out to be! Smiley Wink

Frankly I feel a work around will be to complicated for a very basic question. It will be much simpler to type in the info.

Message 8 of 8
scott.sheppard

There is more information available regarding Design Checker at:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/designchecker

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report