Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Management Services

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1638 Views, 13 Replies

Data Management Services

Using IV 11 Pro, Simulation.
Having problem to access content library.
During log in get this message
Autodesk Inventor 11 could not find the Data Management Services on
localhost.
It appears a file is missing which handles Data Management Services.
Any idea from where I can get the files/program?

After I reinstalled IV 11 was able to get into Vault but now it is no longer
possible it states:
Server could not be found.
Have tried to log as Administrator as per direction outlined within he help
file, no luck.

All I like to have access is the Library.

Wolfe
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Anonymous

Wolfe,
have you used it successfully before this point in time? if so have you recently renamed your computer or something? have you switched to the IIS (internet information service) instead of the (stand alone user) Autodesk resource? if so just unload it and you will get back in to your adms.

are we assuming you have installed adms and content server from your Inventor CD;s already?

there is a large amount of material in this forum on that topic. you should find something with a few searches...

-Mark.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you Mark for the response.

Have not renamed my computer, I am not aware that I
switched to IIS. BTW how can I find out that I did not switch to IIS? And how to
unload this? I don't remember ever having Vault working, except one time during
the installation 2 days ago.

Here is what I did:

Uninstalled IV 11 and Vault 5 from F
drive.

Re-installed IV 11 on a C drive, also requested
Vault installation with all the content center. IV installation and MDT were
installed correctly but Vault installation gave me this error message. "29001
Error Vault management error: The underlying connection was closed: An
unexpected error occurred on a receive" Any idea what this supposed to mean? All
I want is the library or content center, why do I have to install
Vault?

During installation had the internet and virus
checking disabled.

Thank you for your reply.

Wolfe

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Wolfe,
have you used it successfully before this point in time? if so have you
recently renamed your computer or something? have you switched to the IIS
(internet information service) instead of the (stand alone user) Autodesk
resource? if so just unload it and you will get back in to your adms. are we
assuming you have installed adms and content server from your Inventor CD;s
already? there is a large amount of material in this forum on that topic. you
should find something with a few searches... -Mark.
Message 4 of 14
Mark_Wigan

when you reinstalled inv 11 and vault and content centre, did you choose IIS or AWS? perhaps you chose a different option upon your new install than your previous install? (a: please read at bottom of this post for more information on that).

The content center, in recent version requires the adms to be utilised so to answer your question, that is why the vault is needed, even if you are not using vault for your projects.

on a previous occasion i had a problem with my cc and vault login. this was due to a corruption of my database (microsoft sql resources). no matter what i did i could not get vault to work again. (b: more of this is mentioned below).

do a search on the error you mentioned. there is more help in this forum and you will be able to troubleshoot more informed & you will definately find something. the following paragraphs detail a little more of my own problem and solution. obviously your case will differ but there may be some clue that you can use to find your own resolution.

a: i have used autodesks utility AWS for my inventor's content center / adms / vault management, since i work on a single computer and have no other staff that need to access my projects on a network server. The situation i mention above, i recently was installing some windows components (on a different topic altogether) i installed IIS just to experiment on. Now it was some days before i tried to use the content center once again. to my surprise i could not get access to the content center / vault etc. it was only after reading through forums such as this and remembering my install of IIS that i went back and uninstalled IIS and wham, my content center and vault were once again accessible. windows components are seen through " control panel, add remove programs, Add / remove windows components". (in my case i just had to un-check the IIS box to unload it).

b: trying to reduce the space used on my c drive some year or so ago i compessed some folders. After that i found i could not get into vault / content center so i assumed that in the process i had damaged something, and after much trouble shooting , reninstalling of inventor and vault to no avail, i concluded that i had damaged my microsoft sql resources. after more trials and reinstalls, some weeks later i noticed that there was an entry in "add remove programs" called Microsoft SQL Server 2005. as a last resort i removed this and restarted. perhaps then upon a reinstall of inventor and vault / adms this utility was reinstalled correctly as i do not recall having to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 after that. this simeple 30 minute process fixed all of my problems.

hope that helps.

-Mark.
best regards,
- Mark

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the reply.
Believe me I am confused by the whole thing.
Have made sure IIS is unchecked in Windows components.

What is AWS?
As for the installation have as stand alone it did not ask for IIS or AWS (do not know what AWS stand for)
As a normail installation gave me the erro message 29001 (attached)

There after followed he instruction as outlined here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=7429315&linkID=9261340
That did not work it was looking for MSSQL$AUTODESKVAULT.

Thereafter I followed the instrucion as outlined here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9979664&linkID=9261340
Here I got the error message 29001.

Not sure what to do next.
Wolfe
Message 6 of 14
Mark_Wigan

hi Wolfe,

if you still have no success then do the following. write down each step in case you have to put it back as it was. if you have files in your vault then read up on how to back it up and put it back again later, before you do anything.

the AWS is just the autodesk product that installs by default when you install vault and content centre. let us assume that is your install since you had not chosen an alternative such as the IIS i mentioned.

read this thread i just replied to:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=91660&highlight=Error+29001.+Vault+Management

then carry out the removal of ipv6 (as shown in the linked pages to that thread)...then restart your computer and see if you are able to connect to vault / content centre. if after doing that you are no better off, then you may need to repair or reinstall vault.

if that doesn't help then go to "add remove programs" and uninstall the microsoft sql entry as i mentioned in my last post. restart, then again if that doesn't help then reinstall vault and content centre, and try it again.

this error 29001 has several specific forms and yours isn't shown as far as i can see on other web pages such as autodesk's.

hope that helps.

-Mark.
best regards,
- Mark

Message 7 of 14
thomas.fitzgerald

Wolfe,

I am a Engineer at a Autodesk Reseller that specializes in Inventor and Vault/Productstream. Heres a couple questions:

1. You stated that it was could not find the Data Management Services on localhost. Do you have the Content Center and Vault ADMS loaded locally on your computer? If so then maybe its just your configuration.

2. Are you a single user or a part of an engineering group? If you are part of a group, is anyone else having these problems?

The ADMS or Autodesk Data Management Server is the application that manages Vault and the Content Center database libraries. IIS is the Microsoft application that maintains the connection between the client machines and the ADMS regardless if the server and the client are loaded on the same machine. If you are using IIS or AWS, this issue has nothing to do with the fact that Inventor cannot find the Data Management services. You have to have one or the other to load the ADMS. Without the ADMS you do not have Content Center. If ADMS is loaded then you will have an icon on your desktop or in your Start Menu for the Vault Manager which is the ADMS. If you do not have this on your machine and you are a single user then there is your problem. If you do have it loaded on your machine then maybe you dont have database libraries attached. Go into the Vault Manager and under the Libraries folder you will find ANSI, ISO, DIN etc. If you have these then your issue may lie with your project file. Your project file has the ability to connect to these libraries. Check these things above and let me know and then we can look at other options with the Project file. Or you can give me a call directly at 262.717.2127 and I will be able to assist you.

Thomas Fitzgerald
Application Engineer - Manufacturing
Mastergraphics Inc
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Thomas Fitzgerald

Principal Implementation Consultant
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Hello Thomas,
Thank you for your interest in my dilema.
Vault is installed on a single unit and is used by me only.
Have repeated the installation of the content center and here are the sequence:
Here is what happen, have it illustrated with Vault 5-1 error.jpg to Vault 5-4 error.jpg
Once the error 2009 appears tne installtion will be reversed, uninstall whatever was trying to be installed.
Vault is loaded but access is denied.
The library content is not loaded.

Any suggestion?

Wolfe
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Hello Mark,
Thanks for the reply.
Thomas from Millwaukee also showed interest in my dilema and have replied him as well.
I like to point out that the content center were never installed attached zip file shows the sequence of happenings/error during the installation which I tried again today.
Attached file includes the happening from Vault 5-1 error.jpg to Vault 5-4 error.jpg
Incase there was a misunderstanding, do you think I should b go ahead with unloading of ipv6 and if no luck uninstall Vault etc.
I did try to fix Vault with the uninstall repair sequence but no luck. Vault 5-5 error.jpg
It went through the cycle but still unable to access the Vault.

Thank you
Wolfe
Message 10 of 14
Mark_Wigan

hi Wolfe,

i think if you can go through this in detail with thomas you will get it sorted out. he seems to be much more methodical with being able to analyse your situation and no doubt has a depth of experience to offer that i cannot.

the steps i mentioned in my last email however are perhaps a little bit of hopeful thinking so even if it did work we may not know the true reason behind the issue. so if you have time to wait to get to the bottom of this i would leave it in Thomas' hands.

all the best & please let me know how it goes.

-Mark.
best regards,
- Mark

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

You may have other servers/programs that are configured to use port 80 creating a conflict.

Open up the Command Prompt and type in 'netstat -nao', which will give you a list of processes running on your machine that have open connections. Note the 'PID' number (Process ID) for connections that are using port 80 (#.#.#.#:80). Then type in netstat -b to retrieve the name of those processes.

Shut those processes down and install ADMS.

Configure the port number that ADMS uses to something other than 80. You will find how to do this in my thread 'How to change port 80 for Data Management Server 2009' (installed on XP). This may help you.

Patrick
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Hello Patrick
Thank you for the reply.
Upon typing 'netstat -nao' in 'Run' a window appears and disappears so quickly cant see what it says.
How do I stop the window from disappearing.
Sorry for all these question but I am retired and using IV as a hobby and keeping a user group alive.

Wolfe
Message 13 of 14
Mark_Wigan

hi wolfe,

in the run window type cmd

(i think that perhaps step was not done)

that will open your dos shell window

then type netstat -nao as per patricks information.

ps-
did you ever try to carry out those tasks that i suggested previously to see if they worked? they solved my issue which was basically the same as what you are seeing.

all the best.
-Mark.
best regards,
- Mark

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Hi Mark,
To tell you the truth I was a bit scared to do it and get screwed up.
I will go through it with someone who is more knowledgable about systems.

But somethong have to work.

Wolfe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report