Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG to STP

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lastrestudio
347 Views, 2 Replies

DWG to STP

Greetings ...

Hope you can help me with a problem.
we modeled prototypes of trains (locomotives) in 3dsMax, these models will be used to produce molds and thumbnails of these, you must give the producer STP files, max does not export these files, and we have exported in various formats supported by some programs if exported STP, eg Inventor, we have exported files are STL, oBJ and DWG, so far so good, all save the parts or layers without problem.

The problem comes when exporting from Inventor to STP, nothing happens, the STP file is as if you were empty, there is nothing ..

Any idea, any advice, someone who can do a proof of this, if it is possible for someone to do it right, the way you can or know, we can pay for this service, are 17 models of different types of locomotives
I will upload the first CAD model, to see if anyone is encouraged to take a test and / or help with any advice or method

I have attached the DWG file, to see if anyone can do it without problems, if possible, have 17 CAD models for export to STP

rapidshare.com/files/1128993774/ALCO_CAD01.rar

many Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rdyson
in reply to: lastrestudio

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that step doesn't support mesh. Your dwg is a water tight mesh.

JD has elluded to a new(ish) feature in AutoCAD that will convert mesh to nurbs., That could then be converted to step. Maybe he'll chime in.

In the mean time, most CAM packages that I'm familiar with will ustilize STL format. Check with your mold maker and see if his CAM package can.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: lastrestudio

@lastrestudio wrote:

Greetings ...

I will upload the first CAD model, to see if anyone is encouraged to take a test and / or help with any advice or method

I have attached the DWG file, to see if anyone can do it without problems, if possible, have 17 CAD models for export to STP

rapidshare.com/files/1128993774/ALCO_CAD01.rar

many Thanks

I see no attachment here - only a link to 3rd party site.
Can you compress with Windows Explorer (*.zip) rather than (*.rar) and attach directly here?

If over 1.5Meg the limit is larger over here http://www.augi.com

I suspect the end answer is going to be to use the proper tool for the need, ie and MCAD modeler like Autodesk Inventor, Creo or SolidWorks.  Or even free Inventor Fusion.  http://labs.autodesk.com

Other modelers often produce coarsely faceted surfaces that are generally of little use for CAD/CAM applications.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report