Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cylinder unfold to creat layout.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
mdwildcat
1854 Views, 16 Replies

Cylinder unfold to creat layout.

I want to creat a hollow cylinder. But I need to be able to unfold it to have a layout of the cylinder. So that when this DWG goes to the floor the technicans knows how much he/she will need from the sheet to roll the cylinder.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
mflayler2
in reply to: mdwildcat

Which Version of Inventor?

In 2010, create your hollow cylinder as a sheet metal part, use the Rip command to create the opening, use a Flange with Old Method to lap if desired, hit Flat Pattern, save a copy of the face as a DXF.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 17
mcgyvr

You will need to test and enter in a value for the k-factor/bend allowance which is based on which machine you are using to roll and how much it will stretch the material when rolling it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 17
mdwildcat

we are still using 09 we are having problems getting 10 to work on all the computers.
Message 5 of 17
nick.s

Hi,
If you draw your cylinder as a sheetmetal part using contour flange you can layflat this. Sketch would be of circular end and must have a break (can be very small) in it. As stated above you'll want to have appropriate sheetmetal settings applied.
Message 6 of 17
mdwildcat

When I do this using the contour flang operations I get this error message:

Sheet Metal: Contour Flange Creation failed.
Part1: Errors occurred during update
Closed loop found in this path. Use Edit Sketch to open the loop.
Non-tangent curves found in path: flat pattern cannot be correctly created. Edit sketch and add constraints to the curves.
Feature Compute failed.
Message 7 of 17
mflayler2

Contour Flanges require an Open profile such as a line or arc or series of these, not a normal close profile you may be accustomed to.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 8 of 17
JDMather

>When I do this

Attach what you have so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
nick.s

Yes, as other post states the sketch would be a single circle with a break not circle with offset and ends closed like normal profile. Contour flange looks for reference edge not profile. Apologies for the jpg - it wasn't very clear. The break would be very small so as to have a negligible effect on the layflat width.
Message 10 of 17
johnteng00

the addin from solid3dtech is different than the functions inside Inventor. It can handle "not developable" surface or quilt surface.
Message 11 of 17
carau1

If you are wanting to bend your tubing/pipe, you might want to use contour roll for the bends and contour flange for the straights.  Again, as above, you will want to use a radius and not diameter to construct. Leave a gap of .0001 or if that doesn't work, try something very small. Then you should be able to unfold. Good luck

Message 12 of 17
XXL_darth

Sheet Metal: Contour Flange Creation failed.
Part1: Errors occurred during update
Non-tangent curves found in path: flat pattern cannot be correctly created. Edit sketch and add constraints to the curves.
Feature Compute failed.

Im trying to build a flange with curves for a shelf, the program does project it but then it throws this msg, Do I upload the file so that 

someone can help me fix it or tell me how to fix it???

Message 13 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: XXL_darth

Have you installed all Service Packs for 2013?

Sketch2 is not fully constrained?

Sketch2 appears to be missing a Tangent Constraint?

Sketch2 is not connected to an edge?

Here is image with sketch connected to edge (you can use top or bottom - adjust the R as needed).

Contoured Flange.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

You could leave it as Midplane if you want to, but you still-

should constrain your sketch

select edge to follow

set to midplane.

midplane.PNG

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
XXL_darth
in reply to: JDMather

I did everything but the tangent constraint, I kinda solved it by doing the contour first and then the full body, either way, thanks a lot!!!
Message 16 of 17
JDMather

@XXL_darth wrote:
.... then the full body

Depending on whether there is any more geometry to this - I problably would have done the entire part as one single Contoured Flange.

There was no need to do as two separate features.

EESignature

Message 17 of 17
WHolzwarth

Perhaps this way? Oh, I see, I'm too late.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report