Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyclic Dependancy Problem

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
SteveGlover8744
534 Views, 6 Replies

Cyclic Dependancy Problem

Hi All,

I have an assembly containg Sub-Assemblies and Parts.

I have made User Parameters in the Assembly Top Level which are numeric.

When I try to "Link" Parameters in the Parts and select the Top Level Assembly file when prompted I get this "Tip".

Does anyone know if it is not good practice or not possible or what...???

For info I have stripped out all of the iLogic from all parts and am trying to start with a fresh set of rules starting by controlling the parts from the Top Level.

Cheers!

Steve Glover

Inventor Pro 2014 64-Bit Build: 170

cyclic-dependency.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rdyson
in reply to: SteveGlover8744

Not possible. Instead create a dummy part in the assembly that has the parameters that you want to control. Set the occurrence to reference in the BOM so it doesn't show up in your parts list. Then link the parts to be controlled to this dummy part.
There are other ways to do what you want as well, this is the one I prefer.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 7

Hello Steve,

don't start to link parameters out of the top-level assembly.

Do it out of a part file with just this aim - just a container of parameters.

Lothar

Message 4 of 7

Linking only works from parts up - not the assembly down. You can link 'sideways' between parts, using the derive tools. You can copy values down from an assembly to a part using iLogic.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the posts.

I'm not sure how to reply to all but hope this gets somewhere.

The empty part with only the iLogic Form & User Parameters works pretty well.

I'm finding it pretty useful to open the Form in the "empty" part then open the assembly tab which enables me to see the assembly updating as I change the options in the iLogic Form.

After watching the video herein attached I noticed this chap has his iLogic Form in the Assembly working down the parts.

But this is only possible using iLogic to actually have a filename in the VB code.

This falls over when doing a "Copy Design" in Vault as the new set of files are looking for the original filename in the iLogic code which has been changed in the copy design process.

( Blimey, I hope that makes sense )

I will give it another few days before I tick the solved button.

Again, many thanks for all the replies.

I hope this helps a few users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLGlcDzPS_Q

Message 6 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: SteveGlover8744

@SteveGlover8744 wrote:
But this is only possible using iLogic to actually have a filename in the VB code.

This falls over when doing a "Copy Design" in Vault as the new set of files are looking for the original filename in the iLogic code which has been changed in the copy design process.

I've solved this in the past by using a parameter to hold the file name and path of the "master" part and having it be an option on the form.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 7

Logic uses the name it sees in the model browser. You can 'stabilize' this name by over riding it (change it to something eles then change it back).

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report