Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut a sheet metal component with a plane

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
derekreilly
1170 Views, 7 Replies

Cut a sheet metal component with a plane

Good afternoon,

I am new to Inventor and am trying to cut a sheet metal part with a plane, please see attached file. I have tried using the split command however it is not providing the result I need. Help would be greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: derekreilly

@derekreilly wrote:

...I have tried using the split command however it is not providing the result I need....

You have used the Split _Face Option rather than Split_Part Option, but in any case, this will not really give the correct results.

While I work up a solution - there are 2 Service Packs avialable for r2014 that you should install.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
mcgyvr

in the "real world".... is the cut done before or after forming the final shape?

You want to use sketch..project the flat pattern..then cut (with across bend option)  if done before or extude

or cut if cut after forming..

I don't have the same version as you or I would provide an example. But you can start a sketch on the longest face of that part (in the xy plane) then project the flat pattern to bring up all the formed sides into the sketch then just create a triangle sketch then finish sketch and cut.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 8
JDMather

If you look at the 45° cut in the Flat Pattern (wireframe) visual style on this part and compare to the Flat Pattern on your part (using Split -Part, not Split-Face) you will see a subtle difference.  (flat edge is perpendicular to the flat)

So the importance of the question, "Does the angled cut occur before or after bending the part?", should become apparent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Did you try selecting the second option "Trim Solid" in Split command?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8
derekreilly
in reply to: JDMather

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your response. Perhaps I should elaborate a little on what I need to do! I want to model a door and split frame unit similar to that shown on the attached PDF. I have drawn the blank required for the left hand frame section which includes both the hinge profile and the mitred corner. My intention was to model each frame section in 3D, mitre the top corners and provide cutouts for the butt hinges, then flatten the model to create the profile I require which can then be transferred to the profiling machine. Is it possible to model this by cutting through the model with planes?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
mcgyvr

as jd said you can use the second option of the split tool.. (trim solid)..

That allows you to select which side of the work plane and remove that part..

But simply using a sketch and extrude (cut) works too and is more of the "normal" workflow I guess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 8
JDMather

My preference would be to model as a surface body and then Derive component and Thicken each of the parts, then Flat Pattern.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report