Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut List from Multi Body Part File

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
PACDrafting
2362 Views, 8 Replies

Cut List from Multi Body Part File

Autodesk

When is the functionality of generating a cut list from the multi body part file going to happen?

This is available in Solid Works and ver frastrating its not for Inventor.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Inv_kaos
in reply to: PACDrafting

I hope never.. SolidWorks uses multibody for its FG (weldments), Inventor uses assemblies, I think all cut lists should only be called off assemblies. For consistency accross all models, not just FG, it makes more sense for the way Inventor handles properties through the BOM. A multi-body part was never intended to be detailed, only the assembly pushed from the MB part.

Just my opinion but I am not trying to turn Inventor into SolidWorks and I don't expect SolidWorks to run like Inventor.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 9
PACDrafting
in reply to: Inv_kaos

What about plate work?

Understand your point of view. But when using the multi body technique it is very difficult to provide an accurate BOM and also difficult to get ifeature properties into the generated parts. Also for e.g. if you have a structural member ifeature and extrude it between 2 faces, how do you get the length??

Message 4 of 9
Inv_kaos

A reference dimension in a sketch can be used in the part files to pull through into the BOM for overall length.

Even though I would prefer to use assembly files, I would like to see options for sketch dimensions from the feature that created the solid (and possibly automated overall length) to be pulled through with the solid into the part files (not manually).

It was easier before multi-body when we used skeletal modelling because we had the sketch and the features in the part file. Now I generally use all reference sketches in the child parts and copy and paste formulas in the BOM. Combine this with input columns in the BOM for custom properties in the equations and you can set it up pretty quick. That said I will still allow at least half a day for the BOM/parts list when I quote for any pressure vessel.

You can manually pull through ifeature parameters but there is always room for improvement. Most of the time my ifeature would be detailed not listed in the parts list.

Something similar to the sheet metal overall size property would be a welcome inclusion for all parts.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 5 of 9
PACDrafting

Spoiler
" I would like to see options for sketch dimensions from the feature that created the solid (and possibly automated overall length) to be pulled through with the solid into the part files (not manually).
Spoiler
As you mentioned above. This functionality is definately needed. It is far to manual at present.
Spoiler

Message 6 of 9

Thanks Paul for the detailed info. I have raised this as an enhancement request with our development team for future release of Inventor.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 7 of 9

Which part? Multi-body cut lists or automated parameters for parts created from solids?
Stew, AICP
Message 8 of 9
PACDrafting

I'm guessing Automated Parameters associative to whatever solid has been derived.

Message 9 of 9
Inv_kaos

Ah good. As long as I don't see the 3DS splash screen the first time I boot up Inventor 2014 Smiley Very Happy

Stew, AICP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums