Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom colours in Inventor DWG - is it possible to save custom palette?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
DS-precast
908 Views, 9 Replies

Custom colours in Inventor DWG - is it possible to save custom palette?

Is it possible to define a set of custom colours for use in Inventor DWG's and for those colours to be available after shutting down Inventor and re-starting.

I need to define a limited set of custom colours that will be re-used frequently to colour the parts and assemblies in the Inventor drawing views. I can create a set of custom colours using the "Define Custom Colors >>" button in the Color dialog box, but these custom colours do not save in the template ( I  have tried); and only seem to be available during the current Inventor session.

Does anybody know a way to solve this?

Or alternatively, is it possible to amend the "Basic colors:" shown in the dialog box, to create a palette of colours in the order I require, to make it easier to select colours etc.

Any help would be very welome.

Many thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: DS-precast

I would look into creating layers with set colors for each layer.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
DS-precast
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the reply Cadmanto.

The geometry needs to be on the same layer, so it's not really an option to put different objects on colour-based layers. I'm exporting the drawing views into AutoCAD as blocks, using DesignCenter to redefine as necessary, so all the colours need to be applied in Inventor.
Message 4 of 10
Cadmanto

So your looking for the colors represented in the model to be reflected into the drawing views?  Have you tried changing the view style (i.e. shaded, shaded with edges, wireframe etc.)

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 10
DS-precast

Not really.

All the components are precast concrete and have a default colour in the model. However when I export the drawing views to AutoCAD, I need to colour each component to aid differentiation in the orthographic views.

I was hoping to set up a palette of colours that I could use to simply colour various parts. The "Basic Colors" seem a little disorganised and I was trying to simplify the process so that I would use the same limited set of colours each time.

Is there any logic to the order that the Basic Colours are shown?
Message 6 of 10
Cadmanto

See if this thread offers any kind of solution for you.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/IDW-not-showing-correct-color-styles/td-p/3608560

As far as the color pallette, I would look into the color styles.  I have not done this, but I know to setup your own colors that would be the place to start.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 10
DS-precast

I have searched Inventor for some way into this but have not found anyway to set up colour styles or palettes etc

Could you please point me in the right direction to start to investigate. I'm using IV2013 Professional
Message 8 of 10
Cadmanto

Here is some reading for you to get started with from the help file.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?url=http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Inve...

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 10
mcgyvr

persistant custom colors in the color picker is not possible today in Inventor..

BUT Microsoft includes the functionality to do so.. it just wasn't built into Inventor and it needs to be handled by the program (Inventor).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 10
Cadmanto

This is another thread I found that might help you.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/User-Color-Scheme/m-p/3434615#M432995

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report