Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Title Block Information

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
drguitarum2005
335 Views, 3 Replies

Custom Title Block Information

I've argued this repeatedly with the powers that be at my small company and they're set on some old methods that I'm trying to figure out how to make happen.

We often have weldments where we do an assembled view on page 1 and balloon it and have a parts list. Pages 2-4 will be the details of the welded parts. On page 1, I bring in the "Title" and "Subject" fields from the assembly iProperties.

Here's the tricky part. On pages 2+, I don't want to bring in those two fields, I want to bring in something different. Is it possible to differentiate like that?

Second part of the question: is there a way to pull the balloon item number from page 1 into a field somewhere on following pages? For example: page 3 may show the details for "item 2". Can I bring the value of that balloon (item 2) into page 3 somehow?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: drguitarum2005

The "easy" part is for sheet2+, you have to create a new Titleblock that contains what values you want.  The tb on sheet1 will be different than sheet2.

As far as detailing multiple parts AND including the item number from a different sheet... I dont see a way to do that without manual edits (I would not recommend doing that).

There has been a few posts about multi parts idws on the ideastation.  Here and here, but none of that helps you right now. But others are having the same trouble dealing with it.

There has been quite a bit of talk in the past about detailing multiple parts on a single sheet.  Use the search on the right side and you will find many posts.  If you cant find any post back and I will give you some links.

We used to detail with multiple parts on each sheet, but it got to be such a hassle we now have one sheet - on part.  The parts on 11x17 sheets and most times the assemblies are on 24x36 sheets. We stopped doing the multiple parts on a single sheet because we kept getting burned with the manual edits that it took to keep it working correctly.

Message 3 of 4
drguitarum2005
in reply to: karthur1

I appreciate the input. Ideally we'd go to one sheet/drawing per part but unfortunately I'm having trouble convincing the powers that be to do that. We're also unique in that what we call a "part" is actually more of a welded assembly and we don't name the pieces of that welded assembly. Therefore, nothing but the "assembly" ever gets re-used, so the parts won't be reused in a new assembly. Sounds weird but it's how things work around here...

Message 4 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: drguitarum2005

When we did it like that, we had a custom view label that we placed on each part.  The view label included the part number (not the item number).  The item number might change if the parts list is sorted, but the part number always stays the same.  Well at least if the part number does change, then the view label will update.

The parts list was on its own sheet.

In a multiple sheet set, we would name each sheet like "job number, sheet1... job number, sheet2... job number sheet3....etc.".  We did that just so that we didnt end up with this one single HUGE idw that took forever to open and work in.  Also, more than one person could be working on the details.  One problem that we had was making sure that all the parts in the bom was detailed somewhere (had to manually check that).

Attached is a couple drawings.  Not a complete set, but an assembly and one detail sheet.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1 (update1)
Vault Basic 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report