Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Sheet Metal Bend help needed

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
CelticDesignServices
1284 Views, 27 Replies

Custom Sheet Metal Bend help needed

I'm drawing a blank on something I know is rather easy. Maybe that's the problem...overthinking.

Anyways, I'm trying to create some custom sheet metal styles with specific bend radii based on material and thickness.

In the Styles menu I have the menu up and have selected the Unfold Method as "Custom Equation", the Equation Type as "Bend Allowance" and Angular Ref as "Open Angle".

This lists the three basic rows in the menu for the default settings.

(see attached)

Here's where I'm lost...I need to create the equations so a sheet thickness of say .016 has a bend radius of .03, etc.

For the life of me I can't this to work....can't get the right equations, etc....what am I doing wrong or how in the world do I get such?

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28

I've never played around with linking excel spreadsheets into my parameters lists, I've always just worked inside of Inventor. If it was me doing this, I wouldn't change my workflow from that but would just run everything from multivalue lists(only if it's part of the user interface) and use iLogic code to force everything to match up.

If you look at the template I posted and ignore the other 200 things that are going on in there you'll see in the "Sheetmetal" form an input field for Thickness and a drop down list for material. The Thickness is the actual model parameter Thickness and the material drop down is a multi value text user parameter. When a user types in a Thickness the bend radius automatically changes via iLogic coding to match our tooling.

If you're not familiar with iLogic or Inventor forms I strongly recommend that you do some reading and tutorials to familiarize yourself with them. In my opinion, if your not using iLogic you're not doing it right. It's too poweful of a tool to not use.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 22 of 28

Looks like I have some reading to do.

I was kinda thinking along those same lines, but honestly just haven't had the time to learn iLogic.

Looks like it's that time now though, thankfully.

This is the stuff I've been wanting to pick up on but have always been pulled back to handle more basic, immediate needs. Years ago I was literally told by my boss to "dumbdown" my modeling practices because the users didn't understand how to edit the parts. Yes, rather than train them, we had to "simplify" our processes. I guess it comes from always having to work with newbies and now, I have to sadly admit, I've fallen behind on a lot of things I should be able to do in my sleep as I did many releases ago. But what was current back then has obviously been updated...now it's my turn...:)

Again, thanks for all your help.

Now on to becoming an iLogic Wiz...

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 23 of 28

mrattray,

One, hopefully simple, question for you.

In the Parameters dialogue menu, you have a Equation for the "BendRadius" Parameter set to "bendR".

For the life of me, I cannot get that field to edit. How did you accomplish such?

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 24 of 28

Hi CelticDesignServices,

I might have missed something, but I think you can do what you want with Inventor's built in Bend Table tools. Is there something specific that you not able to do with a Bend Table?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 25 of 28

Hi there Curtis,

Bear with me as I'm going thru some growing pains of learning iLogic finally (long time wanting, finally doing).

I think I just figured out what I'm trying to do.

I have the following custom settings I need to somehow input into our Sheetmetal templates:

Material (I have 4 specific)

Gage (20 for each of the above 4 materials)

Bends (one each for each Gage based on the gage and the Material)

So I'm attempting to set up a template with iLogic rules that'll control these.

I tend to be going thru it on a hit or miss manner by reading the basics tutorials and comparing my needs to those examples.

In this case I have the general default sheet metal parameter of Thickness that I needed to point to the custom thickness and the default BendRadius parameter to point to the custom bend radius. From what I can tell I simplt create a iLogic Rule that states the default "Thickness' parameter = the custom parameter, in this case 'Gage".

I'm thinking I should probably start a new thread as I work thru this in hopes it'll help others??

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 26 of 28

OK, so much for that idea.

I can set the default Thickness parameter to = my custom "Gage" parameter by writing the rule:

Parameter ("Thickness") = Gage

And that is accepted fine, but if I write another rule to set the default BendRadius parameter to the custom one as:

Parameter ("BendRadius") = BendR

I get a fatal error when slecting the "OK" button to save the rule. Looks like I'm getting nowhere fast with this task.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 27 of 28

BTW - Curtis,

I just did my part in making sure you're a best selling author....just ordered your Inventor 2012 book from amazon.

All in hopes it covers stuff like this and beyond.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 28 of 28

Sorry for leaving you hanging all afternoon, I only go on here from work and we quit early.

The BendRadius paramter will not accept being renamed like a model parameter. You need to create the User Parameter "bendR" then set the bend radius in your sheetmetal rule (for sheetmetal defaults not iLogic) to bendR. Then when you want to change it's value you change it directly.

i.e.

bendR = .120

Notice that I didn't use the paramter() syntax. That's not needed unless your rule is controlling a parameter in another file, such as an assembly level rule controlling paramters in it's components or a drawing accessing parts/assemblies. For parameters in the same document as the rule they can simply be accessed directly by name.

i.e.

Thickness = Gage

capture.jpg

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report