Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Mat Library Size

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Lance127
632 Views, 8 Replies

Custom Mat Library Size

Is there some reason my 2013 custom material library size is so big. I have a 16 different appearances and 35 different physical properties  with a total of 71 separate materials and then file is nearly 3 megs. 99% of the appearances and physical props are Inventor standard.

The default Inventor Library with considerably more information is WAY smaller.

So what's going on, am i just building the library wrong?

I also have a different library that is over 21 megs, it contains a number of different materials that is comperable to the default Inventor one but again only 16 appearances and 35 phsical props. It's completly unusable.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Lance127
in reply to: Lance127

BTW adding the 71 materials to the Default Inventor Material Library adds less than 100 k to it.

Lance W.
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 3 of 9
Xun.Zhang

Hi Lance_White,

Could you show more detail for us about your steps for  building up your library? As I know, there are three common workflows for build up a library, I listed below.

1. Migrate xml file to new library?

2. Migrate xml file to exist library?

3. Add assets from other library?

Thanks in advance.

Xun
Message 4 of 9
Lance127
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Migrating the materials to either a new or existing library causes the same issue.

I have also tried migrateing the materials and putting them in a file then saving/drag-and dropping them into a new library, same thing.

I haven't tried just recreating the materials from scratch, I planned on doing that today.

*edit* Just tried recreating them,  after adding 8 materials (3 physical properties and 2 appearances) the file was 428kb. Since that is close to 3 time the size of the Inventor Lib I stopped.

Lance W.
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 5 of 9
Lance127

This is ridiculous, I can't create a custom library because the file size makes it unusable and I can't add the the Inventor Library because they lose the material and appearance properties.

Oh, and lots of materials/appearances are still adding the (1), etc in SP 1.1.

Lance W.
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 6 of 9
Xun.Zhang

Hi Lance_White,

I've tried in my side for the three different workflow:

Workflow 1: Migrate xml to a new library, then the size is 96.2 KB,

Workflow 2: Create a new library, then migrate to the new library, and the size is 101KB.

Workflow 3: Create a new library, open workflow 1 library, add all assets to the new library which created for workflow 3, then the size is 211 KB, 2 times bigger then workflow 1 or 2.

I think it's a pronlem with the size, thanks for your report and I submit it to our defect system for tracking.

If you have any update, please share with us. thanks again.

Xun
Message 7 of 9
Lance127

Thanks.

Lance W.
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 8 of 9
Lance127
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

A quick follow up, when there are no categories the file is is significantly smaller. For instance with two categories and 70 or so materials the file is close to 3 megs. With the exact same materials but no categories the file size is 533 kb. Still a lot bigger but usable.

Lance W.
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 9 of 9
Xun.Zhang

Thanks for your great update, I'll follow up about size increase issue around catagory added.

Xun

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report