Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curving a part on two axes

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
nasreen.b
503 Views, 7 Replies

Curving a part on two axes

Hello,

I would like to create a curved surface from a flat part. I have designed the 3d part on the XY plane and would like to have it curved as if placed on a sphere.

I have attached a picture of what I want to achieve. The part is curved in both the X-axis and Y-axis. Unfortunately I cannot attach the part file due to proprietary rights.

At first I used the Bend Part feature and created a bend on both sides on one axis.This was done by sketching a line in the center of the part, which is symmetric in the x-axis and using Bend->Sides. Then I sketched another line which is symmetric in the y-axis and this intersects with the first line used for bending. I have found that I cannot create a second bend using this new line.

Maybe I am going about it the wrong way. Please advise.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: nasreen.b

Model in the finished form.

Is it really spherical or just close to spherical?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
charlesSLJVX

Ever figure this out? I've got a similar issue

Message 4 of 8

Hi

In my opinion, this is a surface modeling task.
The surface of a sphere must be created; then a sketch of the contours of the product; then project this sketch onto the surface of the sphere with a 3D sketch. Finally, there is surface treatment - cutting, thickening, etc.

Kacper Suchomski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Message 5 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: charlesSLJVX

@charlesSLJVX wrote:

Ever figure this out? I've got a similar issue

@charlesSLJVX 
Yes.  Model in finished form.

Attach your file here if you can’t figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 8
charlesSLJVX
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry if this is obvious, but could you clarify what you mean by model in finished form?
Message 7 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: charlesSLJVX

@charlesSLJVX wrote:
Sorry if this is obvious, but could you clarify what you mean by model in finished form?

What does the part look like when the manufacture is complete and ready to put into a box and ship to the customer.  That is the finished form. In the original image the finished form would be a simple Revolve (with follow-on features) - no need to Bend.

Attach your attempt here if you can’t figure it out.

If you really want to Bend - then there was a design contest that used this technique that ran a couple of years ago.  I can post link to solution video if desired, but first I would like to verify the true Design Intent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb-yEu0AqyQ

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think Bend Part command is what you are looking for (3D Model -> Modify -> expand the panel -> Bend Part). You need two separate but perpendicular bend lines (both penetrate the body). Then Bend twice.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report