Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Sheet Metal over spline/multiple curves

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
c3068206
1359 Views, 4 Replies

Curved Sheet Metal over spline/multiple curves

Hey All,

Having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to curve a piece of sheet metal over the outside curved edge of the attached part. I can do it the old fashioned way but was wondering if it could be done in sheet metal which would give me the flat pack automatically (that way there is less chance for errors). There are several of these baffles joined together by a spine and the sheetmetal will eventually go over all of these, and have a few modifications to shape the end profile.

The outer curve is a spline which has changing radius and hence to use a contoured roll would be rather difficult and time consuming (there are also some flat sections at each end of the curves as well).

Any help would be great (only started playing with sheet metal today, so I may be missing something).

Autodesk Inventor Professional Student 2013 is the version I'm using.

Thanks in advance

Tyler

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: c3068206

Are all baffles exactly the same and in the same line?

Maybe you could post example made "the old fashion way" and someone can show how to model it as sheetmetal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
c3068206

The baffles are all in a line and are exactly the same shape and size. In theory it could be done with an extrusion however the project geometry and then offset doesn't like offseting far enough (it does a weird thing where it will only let it go so far and I can't figure out why).

I want to try and see if it can be done. Partly for my own curiosity, and partly as I have other parts which have a similar situation and being able to have it auto generated would be handy.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

I would not use a spline (and if I were to use spline - I would use far far fewer points, I'll bet that I can get that same curve well withing manufacturing tolerance with as few as 3-6 nodes).

I would represent the spline with tangent arcs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
c3068206
in reply to: JDMather

Tangent arc did the trick. Had to get rid of a few funny things that it had autocreated but once they were gone, got 7 arcs in there and it follows it nicely. Now have a neat sheetmetal part and an accurate flatpack.

Thanks again
Tyler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report