Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Cropping Tool Select View Greyed Out

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dswilson22
4114 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor Cropping Tool Select View Greyed Out

I am experiencing problems when I crop drawings.

When I select the crop tool, it prompts me to select the view but doesn't let me.

If not in the crop command, I can select the view but then the crop and related tools are greyed out.

What am I doing wrong? I was able to do this earlier with this file.

I did create different view reps today for different views for the drawings. I am not very experienced in view reps so this might be related.

I do understand that I can't crop views containing a view break (broken view), views with overlays, suppressed views, and views that are already cropped.

I don't think I have any of these conditions.

I must have though.

How can I figure out what's wrong? After closing and opening everything it still doesn't work.

I can crop other drawings of other files.

Thanks,

Doug

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: Cropping troubles

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Inv_kaos
in reply to: dswilson22

Can you take a screen print of this view in the browser with all levels expanded? There must be one of the conflicts you mentioned at a particular level. 

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 10
dswilson22
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Hopefully this image identify what's up.

Actually that may be another clue- somewhere along the line when I went to place a new view into a drawing, the iso top right view I selected to position as "base" showed incorrectly oriented, so I had to use "current" instead.

I use "Z- up", automotive format.

Thx

Message 4 of 10
Inv_kaos

A custom view should still be able to crop.

That screen shot was the assembly, not the drawing. And I need it to show the view, with any sections, sketches, etc that may be on it. See attached.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 5 of 10
dswilson22

Okay. Here's the screen capture I think you're looking for.

I'm currently exporting PDFs and screen capturing images to insert into Word. Clumsy because I can't edit the annotations or bulleting.

Also it would be nice to use a custom sketch to selectively crop.

Doug

Message 6 of 10
Inv_kaos

Nothing looks wrong with what you have attached. Can you post a sample data set? Otherwise I could only say check install and esure you have the service pack.

You can use a custom sketch on the view to crop whatever shape you want too.

Stew, AICP
Message 7 of 10
dswilson22

Unfortunately I can't post this data. Its propritary and not mine to share. I do have the Inventor service pack.

I ended up with screen grabs and manipulating outside Inventor. I was at my deadline and needed to publish images to support a project.

Once again my lack of experience caught me up but I delivered through a workaround.

I am amazed at how well Inventor does some things yet confounded at other times.

This forum is a great resource, especially for those without any adjacent users to bounce things off and sort through problems.

Thanks to all.

Message 8 of 10
bentheboatman

I had the same problem, and here is how I solved the issue.

If the parent view is off the sheet the problem can arise.

So the fix is this: temporarily move the parent view back onto the sheet - generate the child view you want, and crop it.

You can now move the parent view off the sheet and the crop will remain.

Hope it works for you.

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 10
VIRALJ.PATEL

Find attached screen shot of drawing view property. Uncheck the break dialog. This will do the trick.

Message 10 of 10
SBix26
in reply to: VIRALJ.PATEL

@VIRALJ.PATEL wrote:

... Uncheck the break dialog....

What does this mean?  In the image you posted there is no "break dialog" to check or uncheck.  Did you mean to write "uncheck Definition in Base View"?

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.2.1
Windows 7 SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report