Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 11 of 20 (276 Views)

Re: Creating iparts from Content Center

06-08-2012 12:07 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis,

Your first series of bullet points is what I will try believing what you are saying that if I was to republish the iparts (originally copied from CC) back into CC would allow me to switch iparts from the factory within the assembly it is inserted into.

Your second point is correct.  That is my opriginal question.

You can create a part from scratch.  Create iparts from the factory.  Then insert that into an assembly and change it like you showed in your image.  But when you do a save as copy of a CC part and do the same process, it doesn't work.  Why?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 12 of 20 (273 Views)

06-08-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Cadmanto,

Re: the original question

Opening a part from CC, saving a copy of it, and then making that file an iPart factory, should allow you to use Change Component just like any other iPart. In fact the screen shot I showed was from an iPart that I created following just those steps.

Re: publishing to CC

Your first series of bullet points is what I will try believing what you are saying that if I was to republish the iparts (originally copied from CC) back into CC would allow me to switch iparts from the factory within the assembly it is inserted into.

As for this workflow, I get a little confused when you say:

"allow me to switch iparts from the factory within the assembly it is inserted into."

If you've published an iPart factory to CC, then you would use the CC tools to work with that family of parts in an assembly. You would sort of forget about the iPart factory after that. You're really only creating (and keeping it around afterwards) as a template to use for publishing. Once you've published the iPart to CC, there is not a connection between the iPart factory file and the CC files. You could actually delete the iPart factory if you wanted. But it's probably wise to keep it around in case you ever need to republish, etc.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Mentor
Lance_White
Message 13 of 20 (269 Views)

06-08-2012 12:30 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis,

It doesn't work that way for pipe fittings, for some reason. It does work for everything else I tried.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 14 of 20 (264 Views)

06-08-2012 12:47 PM in reply to: Lance_White

Hi white127,

Ahh, you're quite right. As soon as I read fitting just now, it occurred that I remember skimming across something about fittings earlier in this thread. And now I see that you pointed this out right from the start.

Soooo, it does work as I described for CC parts other than fittings and < insert other oddball CC parts that I'm not aware of  here >. :smileywink:

Sorry for the confusion. :smileyembarrassed:

I hope this helps.
Curtis

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 15 of 20 (257 Views)

06-08-2012 12:56 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Well, that explains why I couldn't get it to work.

So that changes my question slightly.  Why don't fittings work this way like the other CC parts?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Mentor
Lance_White
Message 16 of 20 (255 Views)

06-08-2012 12:58 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

Aliens?

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Distinguished Contributor
JimSteinmeyer
Message 17 of 20 (246 Views)

06-08-2012 02:28 PM in reply to: Lance_White

The SW staff is sabatoging it.  :smileylol:

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 18 of 20 (241 Views)

06-08-2012 02:52 PM in reply to: Cadmanto
I found this comment in another thread that may shed some light on why the pipe content behaves differently than other CC parts:

dave.anderson wrote:

Tube and Pipe content will behave differently that other placed components. Even ones that you insert using Place from Content Center will show in the browser with a Pipe Icon and not a Part one.

This is due to the Tube and Pipe add-in. What you can do is disable the Add-in prior to inserting any T&P parts. This forces them to behave as "normal" parts and they can be restructured. I would not suggest this if they are part of a Pipe run, but for simply placed content it's fine.

Dave Anderson
MFG Support - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

The original thread is here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Demoting-moving-patterns-into-a-subassembly/m-p/3490...

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 19 of 20 (240 Views)

06-08-2012 02:54 PM in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

Hi everyone,

It turns out that it is the Tube and Pipe Addin that makes the fittings behave differently. If you have Inventor Professional but don't use the TP tools, or if you use it sometimes, but not others, then it might be worth unloading the TP addin. It's not recommended to do this when working with assemblies that use routes created with the TP tools of course, because you'll likely break some of the TP magic that resides with in them.

To unload the add in, go to the Tools tab  and click the Add-ins button. In the Add-In Manager dialog box, locate the Routed Systems: Tube and Pipe addin and select it. Uncheck the Loaded/Unloaded checkbox to unload it. Note that if it's greyed out Inventor is using it (possibly just Content Center having the TP libraries loaded), and you might need to uncheck the Load on Startup checkbox and then restart Inventor.

So once I unloaded the TP addin, the fitting iPart that was always behaving as a fitting, now behaved like a regular iPart factory.

Give it a try and let me know if you don't see the same result, and I'll have another look.

p.s. Thanks to Dave Anderson of AD for the suggestion.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Edit: I was too slow  cwhetten beat me to it! :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 20 of 20 (219 Views)

06-08-2012 07:49 PM in reply to: Lance_White

From Desault Systems????

Did I really just say that?  Oh my gosh am I converting?????  :smileysurprised:   :smileylol:

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube