Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating complex curved shapes?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
vhlavinka
1696 Views, 3 Replies

Creating complex curved shapes?

I am working on creating a 3D model of an electric guitar with a carved top, similar to a Les Paul for anyone who knows guitar shapes. I want to know if Inventor is capable of creating that type of curves used for the top. I have seen models in SolidWorks of complex curved parts, but I don't have much experience with SolidWorks, only Inventor. But the classes I was in never got into complex shapes and designs like that. I was hoping someone could point me towards a video or a tutorial of how to create those types of curves. Or if anyone knows of a 3D model that I can download and see the sketches and features to see how it was done.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: vhlavinka

>But the classes I was in never got into complex shapes and designs like that.

You might want to go through these tutorials
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

Attached is a screen capture of the projects my students are working on at this minute.

You will see a couple of guitars in there.

Also a nice rubber ducky coming along (the student actually has it much further along - but is going back and cleaning up the techniques for a more robust model). I pointed this one out as someone here is looking for a model of a turkey. Might consider changing to duck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
JDMather

Here is a better pic of current work going on in the lab.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
HallStevenson

> {quote:title=vhlavinka wrote:}{quote}
> I am working on creating a 3D model of an electric guitar with a carved top, similar to a Les Paul for anyone who knows guitar shapes. I want to know if Inventor is capable of creating that type of curves used for the top.

I don't think the top of a Les Paul is what I would call "complex".

> But the classes I was in never got into complex shapes and designs like that.

I took an advanced surfacing class in ProE and one of the lessons involved a violin and manipulating the top of it. Nonetheless, most classes for software only touches the basic stuff.... Create a cube, put a hole in the cube, chamfer the edge. They will touch on sweeps and lofts but not a lot of in-depth.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report