Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a part that also contains a hole surrounding it.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
phooddaniel
570 Views, 10 Replies

Creating a part that also contains a hole surrounding it.

I am just starting with inventor and love the capabilities, which makes me think this is possible.  I am creating a cross dowel nut (also called a dowel nut) that looks like a barrel with a threaded hole on the side.  This nut is intended to be inserted into wood and connect with a screw.  Is it possible to create this cross dowel that also contains the hole surrounding it so when I insert the part into an assembly (a sheet of wood), the hole is created as well?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: phooddaniel

There are several different techniques - depending on your design intent (how often will you need to do this, will the sizes change....).

iFeatures, iparts, and iLogic would be possible solutions, but as a beginner I recommend that you start with Multi-body Solids techniques.

Attach your file here and a bit more information on your end goal (what do you design) for more guidance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
LT.Rusty

I know what a cross dowel nut is, so I'm not having any trouble visualizing that, but I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of it?  Do you want the nut, on insertion, to create the hole in the other part?  Do you have a picture of more or less what it is you're looking for?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

What version of Inventor are you using?

I am assuming that you are talking about when you insert this nut it brings the hole along for the ride.

This might be able to be done with iLogic.  Take a look at this thread.  There are a couple of rules that might be able to be finagled into what you need.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 11
phooddaniel
in reply to: LT.Rusty

First of all, thank you greatly for the quick responses.

Yes, that is correct.  The option of the hole being created on insersion would be acceptable.

Attached is an image of what I would like.  The insersion would be, I guess an iMate with insersion plane and would allow me to enter the dimension from the edge of the other part.  I would set up a dimension in the assembly to space them apart, maybe later using an iAssembly and have these as a table of multiple cross dowels aligned near the edge (value specified).

Message 6 of 11
phooddaniel
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Cadmanto, (Scott, good to connect with you here!)

I don't see the link in your post.  Did you forget to add it, or am I not seeing it?

I am using the 30 day trial of 2014.  Determining if it is a good fit.

Message 7 of 11
phooddaniel
in reply to: JDMather

The size, as for now, will not change.  I use this all over my designs, so I will insert these cdoss dowels many times near the edge of all joining parts.

Please forgive the messy ipt cross dowel file.

The files shown only include the cross dowel within it's hole.  There would also be an intersecting screw that will protrude through a joining part and into Part13 at the edge threading into the cross dowel.

Message 8 of 11
Cadmanto

Yes, sorry.  Here it is.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/ilogic-part-insertion/td-p/3666746

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

@phooddaniel wrote:

The files shown only include the cross dowel within it's hole.  There would also be an intersecting screw...

There will be no intersection, there will be no threads.

You have drawn a 1/4 hole for a 1/4-20 thread.  The fastener will fall through the hole.

The correct tap drill size for a 1/4-20 thread is a #7 drill .201" (or close).

You should use the Thread Hole feature and Inventor will generate the correct tap-drill hole size for you rather than add Thread feature (this tool is intended more often for external threads).

I understand this threaded hole wasn't the hole that prompted your question.

For pointers I recommend that you attach an entire assembly. (what is it that you design - I assume some sort of casework)  As a beginner I still think multi-body solids should be were you concentrate for now an then move on to iLogic once you have a firm grasp of Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
phooddaniel

Thanks for the details on the drill size.

Attached is the intent of what we need.

Message 11 of 11
phooddaniel

Hey JDMather,

Your recommendation for me to focus on multi-body solids.  Just so I understand, are you recommending this so I can derive my entire assembly parametrically (top down workflow) so when the hardware positions and holes are established, the revisions are updated automatically, or the recomendation is to create this single portion (cross dowel, screw connection with holes) using multi-body solids to be then inserted into another assembly?

Just want to confirm so I have some direction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report