Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a linear section view from a curved line

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
samu3
2175 Views, 5 Replies

Creating a linear section view from a curved line

Hi all,
Please taka a look at the attached pic - I would need to create a section view from the plan view. The line in the plan view is actually the centerline of a tunnel.

The section view should actually follow the curved line, so that each point in the section view is made of the perpendicular view of that point in the plan view. May sound confusing, but if you look at the arrows in the pic you'll see what I mean. Consequently, the length of the line will be equal in both views.
Any ideas of how this could be accomplished? I am running Inventor 2013 Pro.
Thanks,
Samu
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dan_inv09
in reply to: samu3

If you can do it with straight segments it works.

Message 3 of 6
dan_inv09
in reply to: dan_inv09

You'd probably have to make the segments small enough to get close to the desired accuracy, and if you can't do a Slice things might look a little funky. (I'm picturing something like a newspaper box in a subway station - on a smooth curve for the section it would be smooshed or smeared, but with small segments it would be little chunks, or turn off Section for it and end up with a bunch of them from slightly different angles.)

Message 4 of 6
blair

The End view directions (arrow view direction) need to be parallel to each other. It can be done with multiply line segments.

The segmented line would be your cut line and the RH and LH arrow must be parallel to each other for your view direction. You can't have multiple view directions as shown alone your segmented line. The section line can be segmented.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 6
samu3

Thank you for the responses - I appreciate it!

Message 6 of 6
Rich.O.3d

A tunnel...in Inventor...sounds interesting, care to elaborate?

civil3d has a good tool for doing long sections along a pipe route (or tunnel).

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report