Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a custom punch

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
alex.coronel
1441 Views, 5 Replies

Creating a custom punch

Hello everyone. I am new to using iFeatures in Inventor 2014 and I am trying to create a punch tool very similar to the emboss tool, however I need it to cut at the same time. I don't believe that extracting the iFeatures of a cutout will sufficient as I'm not sure what the radius of the embossed cutouts will be. I do have the actual punch and I can model it, but I'm not sure what to use when I'm selecting my iFeatures. Any help will be appreciated. I have attached a photo of what I want the punch to do. Thank you.

Alex

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: alex.coronel

This topic has come up here many many times in the past.

At one point I posted step-by-step procedure.

A search might turn up relevant information.

If you still can't figure it out - attach your Punch generating file as well as your resulting Punch tool here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
alex.coronel
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather,

I did look up some of your post and was able to find something similar to what I needed. I still was not able to do what I truly wanted, but I was able to resolve the issue. In your post the punched out feature is modeled and the iFeatures are extracted to make the tool. I wanted to do the opposite of this and model the tool to make the iFeature (does that make sense?). If you know of a way to design the tool instead of the feature I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Alex

P.S. I still get an error of "Unsatisfied Geometry Inputs."  Could you please help me with this?

Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: alex.coronel

@alex.coronel wrote:

...... I do have the actual punch and I can model it....

..... If you know of a way to design the tool instead of the feature....

Alex

You have completely lost me.

Are you by chance a former SolidWorks user trying to reproduce SolidWorks techniques in Inventor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
alex.coronel

JDMather,

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that I do have the actual punch and die I'm going to use to make the physical part and I can make a model of the actual punch (1st picture). I threw a quick one together, the gold is the cutting surface, steel is the bending angle surface, and black is the limit of the depth of the punch:

Tool.png

In order to create the iFeature punch tool in Inventor I had to make an example of what the physical part would look like after it was punched (2nd picture) and create the iFeature punch tool from that.

Feature.png

I was hoping to create the physical punching tool (like the first picture) and create the iFeature punch tool in Inventor from that. Is there a way to do that?

To answer your second question, I am a former Pro-E (Creo) user. Thank you for all your help and patience with my questions.

Alex

Message 6 of 6
KingDraw

Hi JDMather,

I'm about to get into this area and rather than create another question/message on the subject can you please direct me to the post you refer to in your answer to Alex Coronal.

@Anonymous wrote:

This topic has come up here many many times in the past.

At one point I posted step-by-step procedure.

Best Rgds,

Dave R

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report