Valued Contributor
dbcox
Message 1 of 5 (162 Views)
Accepted Solution

Creating Parts with Work Planes Defined by Other Parts

162 Views, 4 Replies
05-02-2013 09:51 AM

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting problem here.  I am working on an assembly that is designed around a box (bounding box) that could change size.  I modeled the bounding box and placed it in a new assembly file.  All other parts have been created within the assembly by referencing that bounding box with starting work plane and project geometry.

The problem comes in when I change the bounding box dimensions.  The work planes for each additional part, which were defined by the faces of the bounding box, do not move when the sides move.  Also, my projected geometry is not updating correctly.  This is a simple box, with all 90° corners.  So, all associated parts (at this point) are just rectangles.  Why is it not updating?

Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 5 (151 Views)

Re: Creating Parts with Work Planes Defined by Other Parts

05-02-2013 10:51 AM in reply to: dbcox

Can you post screen capture

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Distinguished Mentor
swhite
Message 3 of 5 (150 Views)

05-02-2013 10:52 AM in reply to: dbcox

Try like th attached file.  and don't forget to press the update button. Or the second attached file if you want an actual box. And in your assembly use the planes of the bounding box to create new planes in the assembly, not the box faces, not that it should matter. Works fine in mine either way. Didn't ground your planes accidently did you?

Update.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Valued Contributor
dbcox
Message 4 of 5 (134 Views)

05-02-2013 11:17 AM in reply to: swhite

It is working now.  The issue seemed to be the plane creation.  I still do not know exactly what caused it, but I had to re-define the sketch planes.  I also got it to work by creating a plane with the side of the box + an edge.

Inventor seemed to be putting the sketch origin at the corner of the bounding box, and not moving it when the box dimensions updated.  Very odd...

Thanks for your help!

Distinguished Mentor
swhite
Message 5 of 5 (120 Views)

05-02-2013 12:42 PM in reply to: dbcox

Best way is to select your plane tool, click the box face and while holding the mouse button drag it outwards, typing in the offset value or 0 if you want it on the box edge. Also right-click on the plane and select auto resize. You can then turn its visibility off if you want. Usually sketches need redefined if placed on a face that later is remodeled, deleted or changed instead of just editing existing dimensions. But since you placed them on the workplanes, this issue is avoided. As to why the workplanes needed redefined it might have just glitched and lost the box face, or did you replace the box with another? Or delete the original extrusion and then re-extrude it? You can also use the origin planes to create your work planes without the box needed at all. Simply open the parametrs and make a parmater for the say length of it called BLength or whatever. Then when you offset your WP for the value type (BLength/2)+offset value. This is the same as creating your box centered over the work point (half the box length plus your offset distance). Unless you need the box for a specific reason?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube