Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Thread Geometry

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Chris_Molland
3271 Views, 7 Replies

Create Thread Geometry

Hello, and thanks for taking a look at my question.

We are constructing an assembly in Inventor 2011 which is to be animated and rendered in Maya. It is important to see the actual thread geometry in the rendered images. Is there any way to specify that we want Inventor to create the geometry?

We have previously created helical features and then cut back into them to create threads but it is complicated and frustrating as we could simply specify the thread using the Thread tool.

If we definitely have to create the geometry ourselves is there a way of entering the thread details and seeing all of the relevant calculated values are for the thread?

Many thanks.

Regards

Chris

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Chris_Molland

It is pretty easy to create an iPart cut threads for standard thread sizes.
The size, length whatever parameters you need changed from the iPart  dialog box.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Chris_Molland
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I can see your idea here and it does make sense to create what is effectively a cylinder with a thread which we can adapt, through the parameters, to insert into our assemblies.

Does this confirm our thoughts that we have to manually look up all of the parameters for the thread and then create the geometry (in other words Inventor can't do this for us).

Regards

Chris

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

@Chris_Molland wrote:

..... we have to manually look up all of the parameters for the thread and then create the geometry (in other words Inventor can't do this for us).

Regards

Chris

Your professor told you to hold onto that Machinerys' Handbook.  Fortunately that information is all over the internet these days.  I would be surprised if someone hasn't already created the iPart for you (a cut thread vs cosmetic thread example  is what I use with my students to demonstate iParts - we can set to whatever we need and opt for cut threads or cosmetic threads, knurled or knurled suppresed).  Check www.cbliss.com or www.mcadforums.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8
Chris_Molland

Thanks for your prompt reply again.

Following your email I had a quick look around. Surprisingly Wikipedia is quite a good resource for thread profile information.

I think we'll create our own iPart. It will be a useful exercise and refresh our memories.

Regards

Chris

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

@Chris_Molland wrote:

It will be a useful exercise and refresh our memories.

Regards

Chris

There is one little trick that you might need to know - if you run into any errors hollar back and attach your file.

Message 7 of 8
Chris_Molland

And the trick is . . .

Message 8 of 8
kstate92

Chris_Molland wrote:

And the trick is . . .

Apparently being able to snatch the pebble from Masters' hand, Grasshopper.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report