Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash, Crash, Crash

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Marcus2002
415 Views, 10 Replies

Crash, Crash, Crash

I thought that by now AD would have been able to fix all of the problems with Inventor crashes. After 9 iterations, I still have trouble with IV8 crashing in the middle of my work. I've lost more than I've completed at this point, and I'm getting frustrated enough to find some lesser-capable CAD software that is STABLE! All that aside, I have downloaded the proper graphics driver and registry update. This was supposed to FIX problems. Now, I get more crashes than before, and the performance has slowed incredibly. Anyone else have trouble with these "certified" drivers??? Feedback is appreciated. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Marcus2002

Do not go by what's certified but go by what works and produces stability. I have found that "old" non-certified drivers sometimes work better than certified. IMHO Experimenting is the key even though it does take precious time. "Marcus2002" wrote in message news:19905972.1101235001202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I thought that by now AD would have been able to fix all of the problems >with Inventor crashes. After 9 iterations, I still have trouble with IV8 >crashing in the middle of my work. I've lost more than I've completed at >this point, and I'm getting frustrated enough to find some lesser-capable >CAD software that is STABLE! All that aside, I have downloaded the proper >graphics driver and registry update. This was supposed to FIX problems. >Now, I get more crashes than before, and the performance has slowed >incredibly. Anyone else have trouble with these "certified" drivers??? >Feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

If you are talking about nVidia drivers, did you use the Detonator R.I.P. utility from Guru3D.com to remove the old drivers first? After a couple of crashes are you deleting all the files in the TEMP folder and rebooting? How many and what kind of IV files are open when it crashes? What are your computer specs? I only experience random crashes when I don't pay attention to housekeeping (keeping temp files cleaned out and rebooting at least daily to reclaim fragmented memory). Most of my crashes are self induced, too many files (iam, ipt AND idw) open and being edited in one session. Marcus2002 wrote: > I thought that by now AD would have been able to fix all of the problems with Inventor crashes. After 9 iterations, I still have trouble with IV8 crashing in the middle of my work. I've lost more than I've completed at this point, and I'm getting frustrated enough to find some lesser-capable CAD software that is STABLE! All that aside, I have downloaded the proper graphics driver and registry update. This was supposed to FIX problems. Now, I get more crashes than before, and the performance has slowed incredibly. Anyone else have trouble with these "certified" drivers??? Feedback is appreciated. Thanks -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.6085 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

>I thought that by now AD would have been able to fix all of the problems with Inventor crashes.
Running v8 pretty stable here.

>I've lost more than I've completed at this point,
I've never lost more than a couple of minutes of work. I push the software pretty hard and have learned what type of operations are more likely to cause a crash and take appropriate precautions to avoid loosing work. Some of our labs have 3yr old computers that are dogs to run Inventor on but I would never accept a crash as an excuse for lost work from one of my students. I've been known to hit the circuit breaker to the lab 2 hrs into a 3hr final exam. Better they learn here than when they are on the company dime.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

And I thought (and some of my students also) I was tough about lost work when I was teaching. Pulling a circuit breaker in the middle of finals, that's just downright ... brilliant!!! JDMATHER wrote: >>I thought that by now AD would have been able to fix all of the problems with Inventor crashes. > > Running v8 pretty stable here. > > >>I've lost more than I've completed at this point, > > I've never lost more than a couple of minutes of work. I have push the software pretty hard and have learned what type of operations are more likely to cause a crash and take appropriate precautions to avoid loosing work. Some of our labs have 3yr old computers that are dogs to run Inventor on but I would never accept a crash as an excuse for lost work from one of my students. I've been known to hit the circuit breaker to the lab 2 hrs into a 3hr final exam. Better they learn here than when they are on the company dime. -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.6085 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Actually it was a squirrel that gave me the idea. One year during finals a squirrel got into a transformer and electrocuted himself. This was with only about 10 minutes to go so there was no time for the students to start over (and anyway it took several hours to replace the transformer) if they hadn't saved their work.
Message 7 of 11
Marcus2002

Yes...removed old driver first, deleted TEMP files and rebooted. My assembly has only 6 parts in it! Those are the only ones up when I am getting crashes. Two parts are adaptive, lofted shells that form a plastic case over some modeled components. I reboot daily. Also have a lot of crash trouble when placing constraints in assemblies; this makes it crash the most often.

SYSTEM:
XP Pro / SP1
Dell Precision 350
3.06 GHz P4 / 1 GB DDR
Quadro4 900 XGL
New Driver: nVidia 6.14.10.6176 w/registry update
Old Driver: nVidia 6.14.01.4201
Message 8 of 11
Marcus2002

Maybe I should have taken one of HIS classes!
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

That would only help with avoiding lost work. Doesn't take care of your main problem which I would guess is hardware related. Even if you have all of the correct hardware that doesn't mean it is working correctly.
If the problem you are experiencing only occurs with the data set you mention (the loft would be my first suspect) it might be useful to check this data set on a computer known to run Inventor with stability.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

The adaptivity will cause your slow-downs, try turning it off until you need to update and then turn off afterwards. Marcus2002 wrote: > Yes...removed old driver first, deleted TEMP files and rebooted. My assembly has only 6 parts in it! Those are the only ones up when I am getting crashes. Two parts are adaptive, lofted shells that form a plastic case over some modeled components. I reboot daily. Also have a lot of crash trouble when placing constraints in assemblies; this makes it crash the most often. > > SYSTEM: > XP Pro / SP1 > Dell Precision 350 > 3.06 GHz P4 / 1 GB DDR > Quadro4 900 XGL > New Driver: nVidia 6.14.10.6176 w/registry update > Old Driver: nVidia 6.14.01.4201 -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.6085 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I became the type to save every time I do an operation/big feature from when I started modeling in AutoCAD in school. Of course I learned that the hard way, halfway through one of my models for a final and acad 14 pulled a fatal error and stupid me hadn't saved in at least half an hour. "Hal Gwin" wrote in message news:41a391d6$1_1@newsprd01... > And I thought (and some of my students also) I was tough about lost work > when I was teaching. Pulling a circuit breaker in the middle of finals, > that's just downright ... brilliant!!! > > > JDMATHER wrote: >>>I thought that by now AD would have been able to fix all of the problems >>>with Inventor crashes. >> >> Running v8 pretty stable here. >> >> >>>I've lost more than I've completed at this point, >> >> I've never lost more than a couple of minutes of work. I have push the >> software pretty hard and have learned what type of operations are more >> likely to cause a crash and take appropriate precautions to avoid loosing >> work. Some of our labs have 3yr old computers that are dogs to run >> Inventor on but I would never accept a crash as an excuse for lost work >> from one of my students. I've been known to hit the circuit breaker to >> the lab 2 hrs into a 3hr final exam. Better they learn here than when >> they are on the company dime. > > -- > Hal Gwin > Mechanical Designer > Xenogen > > W2K SP4 > Dell Precision 650 > Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon > 1.5 GB DDR > Quadro4 900 XGL > nVidia 6.14.10.6085 w/registry update > Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report