Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying identical parts w/ detail drawings

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
119 Views, 1 Reply

Copying identical parts w/ detail drawings

Here is my issue. I have two parts that are identical expect for a tapped hole in one end. I created the first part and also created an .idw file. I then created the next model using the 'save copy as' feature.

Is there a way to use the first .idw file an re-link it to the second model. I would like to do this so I do not have to re-create all the dimensions on the file. I tried using the design assistant to re-link but it wouldn't let me.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There is a couple of different ways of doing it, but quick and dirty, I would just copy
both files using explorer. Hide the originals by zipping them up or moving them out of
the project. Open the IDW and when it says it can't find the IPT then point it to the
new IPT. Save everything then you should be able to bring the original files back into
the project and work on which ever one you want.

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"KevinS13" wrote in message news:f18f914.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Here is my issue. I have two parts that are identical expect for a tapped hole in one
end. I created the first part and also created an .idw file. I then created the next model
using the 'save copy as' feature.
> Is there a way to use the first .idw file an re-link it to the second model. I would
like to do this so I do not have to re-create all the dimensions on the file. I tried
using the design assistant to re-link but it wouldn't let me.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Kevin
>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report