Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy section view to another sheet

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
digger19
21873 Views, 15 Replies

Copy section view to another sheet

Can you place a top view and then create section views on this sheet and then take these section views and copy to another sheet and stay associative to any changes?

Inv 11 sp1

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: digger19

Yes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 16
digger19
in reply to: JDMather

Can you tell me the process? I am not getting a copy or move option?

Thx

Message 4 of 16
SBix26
in reply to: digger19

You can move a view from one sheet to another, by dragging in the browser, and this will maintain links to the parent view.  I don't know of any way to copy views, but I'm still learning. 

I don't think it matters in this case, but do you mean Inventor 11 (five years old now) or Inventor 2011?

Message 5 of 16
PaulMunford
in reply to: SBix26

To copy a view you need to slect the perant view as well.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 6 of 16
luiww
in reply to: PaulMunford

Please see if the attached example is what you want.

Message 7 of 16
CJJohn
in reply to: luiww

I had the same problem until I realized that you had to grab the view in the browser bar (Mine is on the left) and drag it from there into the page I wanted it on... before I kept trying to grab the actual view and drag it, which didn't work so well.  Hope that makes things a little more clear for somebody out there, I know it would have saved me some time!

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 16
evinne
in reply to: PaulMunford

yes, thanx, this tip was useful ...to complement it ...you can suppress the parent if it unnecessary in the new drawing, if you want to copy just the section view...COPY won't work separately just for the section view

Message 9 of 16
jeffrey.jansenUCRHS
in reply to: luiww

I am having some problems getting a section view placed on a different sheet. I checked your example and that is indeed what I want.

I am using Inventor 2019, is there someone who can elaborate on the process of placing a view on one sheet, make a section of this view and place the new view on a different sheet.

Message 10 of 16

Place the base view, create the section view as always.

Find the new section view in the browser pane, then click-drag it (in the browser) to the destination sheet and drop it there.  That's it.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.0.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 11 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! Yes, Sam is right. Make sure the current sheet containing the section view is active.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 16
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue . Is it possible to put the section view in another dwg file?

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Ed.Jobe

Hi Ed,

Yes, you can move one view from one sheet to another. You need to do that in the browser by dragging the view.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 16
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I meant, not to a "sheet" in the same dwg file, but another dwg. What I'm doing now is simulating the section view arrows by using a symbol with a view number and dwg callout on a base view. Then in the other dwg, placing a base view and section view and then suppressing the base view.

I don't see a way to drag the section view to another file.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Ed.Jobe

Hi Ed,

No, unfortunately. The closest workflow is to copy the base view and the section view to another drawing. Then suppress the base view there.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 16
samuele.dalmaso

this changed my life 😁

MAny thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report