Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Content Center Family

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
aaron.seifert
901 Views, 12 Replies

Copy Content Center Family

When copying Heavy Hex Bolt-Inch as an independent family I remove the “copy of” in the file name properties column.  I get this error.  I know what it means but I can’t find a non unique name.  See attached screen shot.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: aaron.seifert

Aaron,

Not only do the filenames need to be unique, but so do the descriptions.

thd.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 13
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott,

These thread descriptions are mapped to the filename column as part of a concatenation that should (should) make the unique filename when combined with other properties from the table.  By itself this column may contain duplicates without causing any problems.

Message 5 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

You are correct.  I was just trying to point out that if there are conflicts here it is better to change the descriptions to be unique now, rather then later so as not to confuse say in BOM's as to what is what.

Sorry for not clarifying before.  Just trying to think ahead.

Hope that makes sense.  Smiley Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 13
aaron.seifert

This makes no sense.  What other unique name can you put for the "thread discription".  If I make an order for bolts the "thread description" is what I tell them other than material and but even that will be the same name.  I even tried adding length to this field.  Didn't work.  I took out "thread description from the file name column and added Size Designation.  Still the same problem.  Why does this have to be so hard.  I've made plenty of other copies of content center files and this seems to be the most difficult.

Message 7 of 13

I found this only happens with Heavy Hex Bolts

Message 8 of 13
jingyi.liu

Hi Aaron

From the title of your family table, noticed that you have added several materials, like A193, GR B7, etc. Also, I noticed that your filename didn't show its material name. 

I tried on Inventor 2013, it works well. 

I  guess you create your CC family through material guide, and you chose serveral materials to add, right? Have you changed the expression of filename? Since there are same sized bolts with different material, it's easy to get duplicate filename if it doesn't reflect its material.

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager
Message 9 of 13
cbenner
in reply to: jingyi.liu

@jingyi.liu wrote:

I  guess you create your CC family through material guide, and you chose serveral materials to add, right? Have you changed the expression of filename? Since there are same sized bolts with different material, it's easy to get duplicate filename if it doesn't reflect its material.

I'm guessing that's where the (4) at the end of the filename came from.  Good catch.

Message 10 of 13
Cadmanto

Aaron,

I am sorry for the confusion.  While I mistakenly showed an image of the thread description, I meant the actual description of the part should be changed to be different.  I agree with you that there is nothing more you can do to describe the thread.  Besides, like Chris said, it is mapped to the filename column.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 13
aaron.seifert

This only happens for Heavy Hex Head Bolts.  All others work fine.

Message 12 of 13
cwhetten

It might help us to help you if you export the table as an Excel file and post it here.  Then we can more easily spot any issues with the table.

To export it as an Excel file, click on the button for 'Edit via Spreadsheet' in the upper-right corner of the family table editor:

Edit via Spreadsheet - CC.png

This will open the table in Excel, then you can Save As to get an .xls file.  I don't know if the forum allows .xls files as attachments, so you may want to zip it before attaching (in Windows Explorer, right-click on the .xls file and choose Send to > Compressed <zipped> folder).

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 13 of 13
JJurado1450

I just figured this out.

There are duplicates buried in the heavy hex bolt rows that will create duplicate file names. Look at the 1"-8UNC bolt section, the lengths are duplicated. I just deleted the duplicate length rows and it worked.

It took me a few hours trying to figure it out a work around which ultimately led me to that discovery, so I hope this helps someone save some time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report