Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting files

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
655 Views, 5 Replies

Converting files

Hello. I'm new to Autodesk Inventor. I found a .obj 3D image that I'd like to import into Autodesk Inventor 2014 Professional. I found FBX 2013.2 on the Autodesk website but was unsure whether or not I should install it. Is it compatible with the suite I have?

If it isn't compatible, is there a program/utility that I could use? I appreciate your help on this.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MingweiGao
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, did you install product design suite(Ultimate) on your side? If yes, Mudbox can open the obj file. And then, you can send you object model to 3DS Max. In 3DS Max export the file to dwg format and Inventor can import the dwg file directly.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Mingwei:

I did not get the Ultimate version, I'm currently using the student edition. I did download Mudbox and received errors when I opened the .obj file (had to remove some portions as it was too big to open on my computer). It may be that this file is not compatible.

I'm attempting to figure out how to fix the issues to proceed to the next step. I appreciate your response Mingwei.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 4 of 6
Ray_Feiler

It was directed at Autodesk because I am disappointed that Inventor can not open FBX files directly and or that Mudbox can not save as STEP or SAT that's all. Sorry you took it as an attack on you. It was not. My apologies.

Oh well, It looks like they took down my post, so all is well. Carry on.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 5 of 6
MingweiGao

Can you share your obj file? Maybe I can have a try for your dataset.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: MingweiGao

Thanks for clarifying Ray, no worries.

Mingwei, I used 3ds Max and skipped using Mudbox entirely. It was easier to make the corrections in 3ds and convert the file to .dwg. I am still playing around with the tools to see what else I can do but this seems to be doing what I want. Thank you for your support, I appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report