Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Files From Inventor to DWG and others

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Foamulations
1153 Views, 3 Replies

Converting Files From Inventor to DWG and others

What is the best way to convert files from an inventor file to other file forms such as DWG and STL?

Also What are some good free viewers for clients to view projects as they are completed?

I have the Autodesk design suite 2013 so I have tried using Inventor Fusion to open and covert files and I have had troubles.  The first is when I open a file in Inventor Fusion any threads that were placed in the file are gone.  Also when I have tried to save these files as Autocad DWG files and open them in programs like Edrawings Viewer parts are missing and/or the drawing does not show up at all.

Any advise would be awesome and please be basic I am not a computer guy.  

Thanks

B

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mflayler2
in reply to: Foamulations

There are many ways you can do this...

First off, there is native export capability inside Inventor...go to the Application Menu in the upper left of the screen (the big I) and choose Save Copy As.

As far as free viewing goes, there is...and

Inventor View for native viewing of Inventor files

DWG TrueView for veiwing DWG files

Design Review for viewing DWFs (Autodesk's better version of a 3D PDF)

I wouldn't use eDrawings, its from a competitor that doesn't know what a full DWG code should look like.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 4
JDMather

If you have trouble with any particular file saving as dwg or stl directly from Inventor -attach it here so others can take a look.

When saving as stl be sure to go to Options and set the correct units.

Inventor threads are bitmap representation (pictures) of threads - not cut threads.  You will need to cut the thread (Coil command) if you want threads in stl file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
blair

We use DWF for our production floor (they use industrial tablets running Windows 7). As it's inhouse we can publish the full package, drawings along with the model and all view-reps (solid model).

We publish solid models for our dealer (parts departments).They can pull up the complete unit, select the required item on the solid model and it gives them the part number. (kind of like a 3D micro-fiche)

The viewer is free from Autodesk and dosn't require an expensive PC.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report