Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert IDW to IGES

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
DoctorCarlo
1940 Views, 7 Replies

Convert IDW to IGES

All that I have found about the IGES format is that you can import it into Inventor and convert it to IDW.  I want to go the other way: I have one 3D solid in IDW and need it converted to IGES.

JDMather responded some time ago to this same type of request and I see that he is still here.  But there appears to be no direct way to contact him.

My 3D printer contact wants an IGES version of a job.  And until this request came up, I had never even heard of IGES.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Mike.Wohletz
in reply to: DoctorCarlo

I think you need to start by opening the model shown in the IDW and then if you click the I in the top right corner and go down to export cad format you should see the option to export as IGES. Your drawing is 2D so I don't know why anyone would want to print that to a 3D printer. Also when posting files no one can do anything with just a drawing file unless it is empty since the data in the drawing is generated from the 3D model so all referencing documents would also need to be attached. 

Message 3 of 8
thaddeus
in reply to: Mike.Wohletz

Most printers would use STL files, in the same manor the iges instructions Mike gave.

Interestingly I accuired the drawing out of the idw.

see attached.

Message 4 of 8
DoctorCarlo

For some reason, the contact person feels the need for an IGES version to verify dimensions.  Although I label this item as a metric-size version and entered all the dimensions in metric, the dimensions show up as inches.  That 5.51 is the equivalent in inches to 140mm seemed to be an insurmountable problem.

Besides the iges, he has requested the original ipt file and the idw that I have attached in this post.

I am presently trying to export the ipt as an iges.  Let us see how that works.

Message 5 of 8
DoctorCarlo

Accomplished.  In my version of Inventor, the I is in the upper left corner.

Message 6 of 8
Mike.Wohletz

That was a mistake on my part, I intended to say left hand. 

Message 7 of 8
JDMather

I would use STEP *.stp rather than IGES.
If saving to stl format you would need to make sure to click Options and set the correct units.

Sounds like there is trouble all around in understanding file formats and units.  Your contact will need to be very careful in making sure you get exactly what you are after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
DoctorCarlo

@ Mike W.  That's okay.  My own gaffs have been monumental in comparison.

@ JDM  Thanks for the additional thoughts.  I am pretty much still a newbie with Inventor and don't know very basic things.  The key, as you say, is human-to-human communication.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report