Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling mitered 3 way corner in sheet metal

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
martin_akerman
874 Views, 6 Replies

Controlling mitered 3 way corner in sheet metal

Hi!

I have a sheet metal part were I due to our manufacturing process, nibbler, would need to be able to control the exact measure in the flat pattern of the side for a mitered corner. See attached file.

When we nest multiples of the part, the triangle forms a square and it is consequently the side of the square that I want to control due to the tools in the nibbler.

Is there a smarter way to do this, other the unfold/cut/fold?

As of today we change the length of the flange until we get an acceptable result.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
benyang.he
in reply to: martin_akerman

Hi Martin, We don't have the option to control the distance of the mitered edge of the corner. I have a workaround except the one you mentioned, using the unfold, cut, fold workflow. You can follow the steps below.' 1) Open the part (created as you shown in the image) 2) Create a flat pattern 3) New a sketch on the flat pattern face, draw a line which is parallel to the bend line 4) Add the dimension between the newly added line and the intersection point, input the value you wanted, eg, 20mm. 5) Add the new dimension between the newly added line and its upper projected line, remeber the value 6) Go to the folded model 7) Edit the flange, change the flange distance, using the original value minus the value measured in step5 I also attached a video for your reference. Hope it helps. Thanks, Webber
Message 3 of 7
benyang.he
in reply to: benyang.he

Message 4 of 7
martin_akerman

Thanks! I'll be shure to try that out.

/Martin

Message 5 of 7
benyang.he

Sorry, I couldn't attach the video. Please drop me an email if you need it. My email is Benyang.He@autodesk.com. Thanks, Webber
Message 6 of 7
martin_akerman

Work as you described. I needed to change the precision of the dimension though in order to get ´the exact measure I wanted. We export the flat pattern to the nibbler so the measure needs to be 20 sharp ,not 19.999.

Anywho, this method really help us, so ones again Thanks!
Message 7 of 7
benyang.he

Good to know it helps. Yeah, you can change the precision to get the dimension you want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report