Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Roll hole creation

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
josh
606 Views, 5 Replies

Contour Roll hole creation

Hello,

I am new to inventor and have found many posts on this forum helpful. Thank you to everyone who answers the questions of the less informed. I am in need help on a model of a sheet metal roll formed profile. At our facility we roll the profile, punch the holes then arch the profile. I need to be able to quickly and accurately produce part prints of these parts of these arches in a unfolded state. I have been able to accomplish this, however I cannot constrain the holes on a axis after refolding the part. I am looking for a way to sketch on this part in the unfolded state to create the hole position and have a constrainable hole in the folded state. Any advice is appreciated.

Inventor 2014 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: josh

First thing I noticed is that your Sketch1 is not fully constrained.

Then I noticed that you are creating 2 arcs where only one is needed and forcing zero length lines in the process. 

This will eventually cause you significant problems - so I recommend that you never ever create geometry in such a way that lines end up zero length.

zero line.PNG

I have to do some experimenting, but I don't quite understand why you are using unfold to place a hole on an arc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
josh
in reply to: JDMather

Thank You for the advice on the sketch. I need all the pointers I can get. I am using unfold and trying to holes in that manner becuase that is our Manufacture work flow and the part drawings I need to create must include a unfolded part with hole dimension spacing.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Forget for a moment your manufacturing process.

What is the design intent for the final product.  The final form is what you sell.  The final form is the controlling factor.

In general, for sheet metal parts you should always model in final form and then work backwards to the flat pattern.

(but Contour Roll is on sheet metal feature that can make this more difficult)

Where exactly do you what the position of the hole(s) in the completely finished part?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
josh
in reply to: JDMather

I apologize if I do not fully undersatnd the question. My hope was to the arched (radiused) part for the following in order of importance

1. A part in a larger assembly for 3D modeling with accurate bom.

2. Use as a part print file on the prodcution floor in a drawing format.

The hole postion for the sake of this conversation is where you see it on the file postioned by measuring off the end of the part.

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

josh wrote:

2. Use as a part print file on the prodcution floor in a drawing format.

The hole postion for the sake of this conversation is where you see it ....

That presents a problem in manufacturing on the production floor as the postion of a hole requires two dimensions.

You have provided only the dimension from the end.  One additional dimension is required.

Location.PNG

There are two ways you could dimension the position from end - along arc length or linear distance.

In this case since the distance is relatively small to a very large radius, the difference is insignificant.

Arc Length.png

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report