Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Flange not building

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
VictorBDEngineer
1094 Views, 2 Replies

Contour Flange not building

Hi

I am having a frustrating time trying to create a contour flange. I get the following error when I try to use the profile I have in Sketch3 of "Outer Cuff.ipt"

Sheet Metal: Contour Flange Creation failed.
     Outer Strap.ipt: Errors occurred during update
       The attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result. Try with different inputs.
         Try decreasing bend radius
           Feature Compute failed.

I do not know how to find what part of the profile is failing as Inventor does not give help in this area. As far as I can see the profile is continuous and does not touch itself. If only Inventor showed where the error was then I might be able to fix it. At the moment I have no idea how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Screen shoots and assembly files attached.

Regards
Victor Pringle

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: VictorBDEngineer

@VictorBDEngineer wrote:

I have in Sketch3 of "Outer Cuff.ipt"

Victor Pringle

I did not see a file with that name?

I saw a missing Tangent constraint and this problem

Problem.PNG

I also recommend that you either -

1. do not use splines - use arcs and lines instead (but this might make your design look more "perfect" than you want)

or

2. use dramatically fewer points in your splines and instead use Handles and Curvature control.

or

3. if you are not concerned with getting Flat Pattern - you could use this technique (see attached file).

(hmmm, well it looks like it flattened anyway - but I made a couple of changes)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
VictorBDEngineer
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your reply.

I had tried using splines with handles but was not getting anywhere so I changed to interperlation splines. I could not get the right contour using arcs and lines, probably due to my inexperience.

I had not thought to use an extrusion being fixated on using the sheet metal tools.

Thany you again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report