Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Flange Failure

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
VictorBDEngineer
1975 Views, 4 Replies

Contour Flange Failure

I have a part which fails to produce a contour flange. The sketch consists of an arc connected to a spline. Both the arc and the spline as individual elements produce a perfect contour flange but when I join them the coutour flange operation fails.

Sheet Metal: Contour Flange Creation failed.
     Outer Strap.ipt: Errors occurred during update
       The attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result. Try with different inputs.
         Try decreasing bend radius
           Feature Compute failed.

Could somebody please help with this. I am trying to model a wrist cuff.

I am using Inventor 2014.

Regards

Victor Pringle

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: VictorBDEngineer

Spline not tangent to arc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
LT.Rusty

The problem has to do with the way the spline interacted with the circle.  Inventor wanted to make that a bend.  Take a look at the modifications I made to your sketch.  First, I made the start of the spline tangent to the circle.  Then I opened up the profile of the spline a bit to move it away from the circle, to prevent any overlaps, which would also cause some errors.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
VictorBDEngineer
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thank you. If only Inventor had told me that was all it required to fix it. I will certainly remember for the next time I do something like this again.

Thank you once again.
Message 5 of 5
LT.Rusty

Just remember: Inventor can't interpret your design intent.  When you have non-tangent edges in a profile intended for a contour flange, Inventor will apply a fillet to those profile corners to create the bend.  So far as I know - and I could be wrong, I haven't tested this exhaustively - you can't fillet the end of a spline.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report