Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content center iMate names

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Josy05
523 Views, 6 Replies

Content center iMate names

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the naming standard for centent center parts other than fasteners. Is there a formulation I have to respect for the iMates to work properly. I want to incoporate standard iPart gasket we use, first I created the iPart with 2 iMates useful for placement and published it to the cc.

When I test it on an assembly using the iMates box it places the gasket at a wrong location based on I don't know what??? On the other hand if I uncheck the iMates box it also does not prompt me for corresponding references and drops it were ever I click. What i'm I doing wrong? Is it possible to create a library of cc parts other than fasteners? I tried replicating the match list names found in a typical iMates screw, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,

Josee Laplante
BIM Drafting Technician

AutoCAD 2016
Inventor Professional 2016
Vault Professional 2016
Revit 2014
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Josy05
in reply to: Josy05

No one? Maybe my question is not clear but I still need help please.
Josee Laplante
BIM Drafting Technician

AutoCAD 2016
Vault Professional 2016
Revit 2014
Message 3 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! If you can post a simple example here, I should be able to tell where the problem is. I think you are talking about the iMate matching scheme, which has nothing to do with CC component naming actually. The way iMate matching works is that Inventor starts with name matching based on match list. If nothing from the list matches, it will perform type match. I guess you might have another iMate (though different name) of the same type available for matching. As a result, the iMate is matched to the location. Is it what you are seeing?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 7
Josy05
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello johnson,

I want to build a content centre of typical parts/iParts that would easily be placed using imates, same as the fasteners library. I thought that I only needed to add imates to my file and publish to CC. But it does not work as expected, so I'm baffled.

I cannot add matching names iMates to every other parts/assembly because we custom build. I really need for the mating to work automatically or with prompts telling the users what reference to select for appropriate placement.

I don't know if the file attached will work since i'm using derived shapes and cc parts but its an axample of a gasket iPart that needs to be placed twice on a backmember. One as been placed approx to show you my problem.

Thanks,

Josee Laplante
BIM Drafting Technician

AutoCAD 2016
Vault Professional 2016
Revit 2014
Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue

The match list workflow works the best when there is a matching pair of iMates. If you have an example showing it is not working well even when matching pair exists, please let me know.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
Josy05
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I understand this workflow for regular components but how come content center fasteners don't require the matching half to perform? I thought this was a cc funtionnality hence wanted to create a library with my standard parts and have them behave like fasteners when placing in my assemblies. Are you telling me there is no other way than having to do matching iMates names list for every component whether they are in a content centre or not?

Josee Laplante
BIM Drafting Technician

AutoCAD 2016
Vault Professional 2016
Revit 2014
Message 7 of 7
Pete_Mort

I have this problem too; down to my lack of understang no doubt! whats the differnce between the matching name and the match list? I've been told that the mating halves of an imate should have different names to work properly please correct me if this is wrong. I've created a cable gland that it want to insert into a mating panel using imates, the gland has been published to the content centre and I'm not sure what the different imate columns are for, the matching list is self explanatory but the matching name is confusing because I don't understand how this differs from the names on the matching list? any help greatly appreciated ...

imate naming.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report