Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Library? Read-Only!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
394 Views, 7 Replies

Content Library? Read-Only!

How do I access the parts that the content library generates. I understand how all this works the parts are stored on library server of my choice blah, blah, blah... What I don't understand is how to modify the parts that are stored in that server locations. For some reason Inventor thinks that everything in that directory is read-only. Is there a way around this? Why is the content library generator so proprietary and inflexible?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jmartzig
in reply to: Anonymous

what i've used CL for was parts that were purchased from a specific manufacturer. i only needed to download them in stp format - therefore them being dumb solids - but no biggie for me, because these were parts i needed not to modify. however it being a SW site, if you had that software, you could download in that format, and change the things you wanted to. it's not an IV site. -Joe
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

So what your saying in an indirect way is that I can't modify my parts, Right?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Any library in your project setup will be read only. If you ever want to edit a library
part you need to set up a project that has that directory as something other than a
library.

That said the Inventor library parts are for the most part un-editable. Charles does
have a macro somewhere on his site that will turn them into a editable part I believe.
www.cbliss.com

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"ohunome" wrote in message news:f17c48c.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> How do I access the parts that the content library generates. I understand how all this
works the parts are stored on library server of my choice blah, blah, blah... What I don't
understand is how to modify the parts that are stored in that server locations. For some
reason Inventor thinks that everything in that directory is read-only. Is there a way
around this? Why is the content library generator so proprietary and inflexible?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

To take Kents explanation a little further, any directory that is listed in the "Library" section of the project file is labeled as "read-only" by Inventor. The best thing to do if you want to edit parts that are listed in the "Library" directories is, like Kent said, create another project file and list the library directories in the workgroup. That would enable you to edit those parts, unless they are library parts created by Inventor. If Charles doesn't have the program to turn them into normal parts Sean probably does on his site. Mike
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I guess my next question would be is why would you want it to be read-only. I mean do the parts in the library on the server get updated somehow? What makes them so special? If I truly wanted a library file to be unedited I would make the directory read-only and thats a server related issue not a silly Inventor issue.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I don't think I said that at all.

Folders that show up under library in the project settings are read only. If you want to
edit them either move the part out of the library folder or set up a project to use for
editing library parts that has that folder as something other than library

The Inventor content library has some special switches set that make them un-editable.
Charles has a program that makes them editable
http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iCode/index.htm look for normalize IV Library Parts.

Most people here prefer iParts over the Inventor content library.

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator

"ohunome" wrote in message news:f17c48c.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> So what your saying in an indirect way is that I can't modify my parts, Right?
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Sorry for my mistake on the last post I just figured out your reply wasn't to me 8^)

How often does a manufactured part change. In most cases almost never, and if someone in
your team changes a library part not knowing what they are doing, it could have disastrous
effects on every assembly that part has ever been instanced into.

Library parts are just that, ... parts that should virtually never change.

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator

"ohunome" wrote in message news:f17c48c.5@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I guess my next question would be is why would you want it to be read-only. I mean do
the parts in the library on the server get updated somehow? What makes them so special? If
I truly wanted a library file to be unedited I would make the directory read-only and
thats a server related issue not a silly Inventor issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report