Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraining on a revolved Part

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jeddell
401 Views, 7 Replies

Constraining on a revolved Part

Hi all,

I'm really struggling with constraining a welment assemly. I've attached a JPG of the Assembly to give some idea as to what I want to do, but I cant get the constrains to go where I want them.

Basically this assembly is a wheel with three equally spaced stays welded to a large nut hub. I have constrained the centre axis of the wheel to the centre axxis of the Nut so the wheel and nut will remain aligned. 

What I'm struggling with is constraining the three stays to the wheel and to the nut equally spaced around the nut.

Any help here would be great

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: jeddell

I would use a workplane Mate-Flush constraint for the first one and then Pattern Component the other two.

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
jeddell
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, I tried to constrain as you suggested, but there are too many other variables that didnt get explained. Junior operator here so some clearer explanations really are needed.

I've attached the assembly and parts, so you can show me what you mean

Thanks for trying

Cheers

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

Looking at your parts I'm not convinced that you have the best angles on the Wheel Stays.

Can you make changes to this part or must it be as you have designed?

I would do this as multi-body solids and then push out the individual parts if you have trouble lining up the desired angles.

Also, never use zero (0) value dimensions - use coincident constraints instead.

An ACME thread should be 29° an angle of 28.6708708 is not manufacturable.

WorkAxis1 in the hub is a duplication of the Y Axis and therefore not needed.

If I get a chance I will model up an example of how I might do this.

You created a workplane in the assembly - don't need this - use the existing part workplanes.

The thread has thin sliver face ends - I would chamfer before cutting thread - just like real world machining operations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
jeddell

Thanks for your reply and review of the parts. I do appreciate some expert feedback.

To answer you comments:

Yes, I can make changes to the Stays, I'm duplicating an old technical drawing whcih does not show the ends, but the entire part. The drawing olny shows the weld type aa a fillet around the ends of the stays

Not sure what you mean by Zero value dimensions. Can you elaborate on this one?

I used the dimensions from an ACME thread table. You're right, I should have dimensioned the angle to 29 Degrees.

Point atken on the work axis, Still getting my head around how to select the correct axis fo revolve. Gettin there!

Not sure what part workplanes I should use to constratin these parts. The angle on the hub is a chamfer. When I try to constrain to it, it picks the axis instead. Which is one of the things I'm struggling with

I look forward to your example

Cheers

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

I haven't used a Zero dimension since leaving Mechanical Desktop back in '02.

Use Coincident Constraint.

Zero Dimension.JPG

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
jeddell

AH! OK got it.

I di start that sketch inside the model, but I didn't know how to get the coil to extend past the hub nut. I figured this was the easiest solution.

Obviously its another contraint process. Seems to be my weak point

cheers

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@jeddell wrote:

Obviously its another contraint process. Seems to be my weak point

cheers

Project Geometry and Coincident Constraints will become your strongest points (for Inventor sketching).

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report