Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraining assembly components.

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
Squawk
772 Views, 33 Replies

Constraining assembly components.

My intention is to make a foam inlay for a component.

The foam inlay however is not a square but has both tapered and little round sides.

I can make a "mate - flush" constraint and get the component to align the correct place in height.

But I can't find any way to constraint the closest proximity of the object to 1 mm from the sides.

Is there any way I can accurately set the position of the component from the sides, preferably constrained?

Please see attached file.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Assembly3.jpg

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
mcgyvr
in reply to: Squawk

Don't forget you can constrain to origin/work planes (user created planes)..hint hint.. 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 34
swalton

One choice is:

Tangent with a 1mm offset between the cylindrical surface of the part and the planer surface of the case.

Add an angular constraint to keep the part from rotating.

If you were smart about symmetry and your origin geometry when you created your ipts, you might be able to use the origin planes.  That will depend on what you want driving the assembly. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 34
Squawk
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you McGyvr, I have to look up how to do that..

Message 5 of 34
Squawk
in reply to: swalton

Thank you for your reply Swalton.

I'm affraid I wasn't smart when I created these parts and have not based it around the centre point.. 😞

I tried the tangent constraint with the 1mm like you said, but I kept getting weird results.

The component went through the side, instead 1mm away from it..

And it also rotated.

Problem is, since there is no horizontal reference (the sides are a bit round) I can't get the angle to restraint to anything..

Message 6 of 34
swalton

Tangent may have an issue with the tapered case walls. I read your question too quick and did not see that part.  Tangent has two solutions, basically one is inside the circle and the other is outside.  You might try playing with the solution options in the constraint window.

A mate constraints will work between a planer surface and an edges/axis/vertex.  This might get you where you need without creating work geometry. 

If you attach your ipt files, I may be able to take a look and see a solution.  The iam file that you attached is basically a list of the locations of the part files and the constraints between them.  (Also, I am on IV 2014. if you are using IV 2015, I can't open your files anyway.)

The lession is:

Plan your part modeling by how you need to use the parts later in your assemblies and in the real world. 

Don't forget to consider how you might want to modify the part for some future use that you don't know about yet...

It takes a bit of practice to get there.Smiley Wink

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 7 of 34
JDMather

@Squawk wrote:

Please see attached file.

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 34
mcgyvr

@Squawk wrote:

Thank you for your reply Swalton.

I'm affraid I wasn't smart when I created these parts and have not based it around the centre point.. 😞

So..now you know better and can simple edit the parts first sketch and fix that problem.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 34
johnsonshiue

Hi! There should be several ways to constrain the components desirably. Mate, unlike Flush, is a fairly versatile constraint allowing combinations of vertex (sketch point, edge (sketch line), and face to be constrained together.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 34
Squawk
in reply to: swalton

Yep, sorry, .iam and .ipt files attached..

Indeed I get weird results trying to constraint the component in ways I know. Probably due to the tapered sides..

I'm on Inventor 2012, so you should be able to open them.

Thank you for offering to look at it!

Message 11 of 34
Squawk
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I don't understand.. I have only 4 options to constrain components: Mate, Angle, Tangent, Insert.

But either way, I cannot find any points, axis, surfaces or other things to constraint to in such way, that the component doesn't stick out the foam block in the tapered place where it is closest to that component.

All google and youtube searches only show constraining using one of the 4 above mentioned.

Obviously I need another way. And folks here say there is, but I can't find it..

Message 12 of 34
JDMather

@Squawk wrote:

My intention is to make a foam inlay for a component.

I thinking was Derived Component would be easiest technique.

Derived Component.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 13 of 34
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Open the Case file.

Manage>Derive Component and select the Phantom 2.ipt file.

Select Move Body and enter the following dimensions to center

Move Body.PNG

Combine with Cut option to create the cavity.

Combine-Cut.PNG

Now you can assemble the two parts in an assembly file.

Message 14 of 34
Squawk

Thank you for your help JD!

Your example saved my day.. 😉

But, my aim is to have it 1mm from the closest point to the tapered side of the foam block, on the left top side.

(There is other stuff that needs to go in there.)

How can I let the program decide that?

Phantom Engine Pod to Tapered Side Alignment + 1mm.jpg

I could get it by entering values untill none of the pod poked through the tapered wall, and then add 1 mm for some margin.

But I thought the idea of Inventor was to let these things be calculated/constrained.

0008.jpg

I felt like the unsymmetric drawing approach noob earlier when doing this on trial and error value entering..

Just 1 question left, you said: "Now you can assemble the two parts in an assembly file.", but with what I now did was make my case .ipt file with the holes in it for the components. It's not an assembly file anymore, but a .ipt file.

Or did you mean that I can assemble the Phantom in the case with that now have the holes, in an assembly file?

Message 15 of 34
WHolzwarth

You could do that easier, by modeling the case symmetrical to at least one original plane. I've "re-invented" 😉 two planes for constraining. Now you can change position of the phantom part easily.

Only modified files are added (2012).

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 16 of 34
JDMather

I would have modeled all of this using multi-body solids in the orientation I wanted and then pushed out the assembly.

But I don't think you are there yet.

Just keep working.

Message 17 of 34
Squawk
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Thank you for your reply and sample file Walter!

I made some items in the tree visible to see what they were.

If I understand correctly, you changed the position of the Phantom center point, then made 2 work planes throught that center point of he Phantom component and made 2 work planes on the sides of the case.

But when I change the "Passend" values of the Phantom, the work planes remain the same position, but the Phantom moves in relation to the work plane.

Why did you need the 2 case work planes then?

And how did you manage to create a work plane that didn't follow the tapered shape of the case sides?

Message 18 of 34
Squawk

I would have modeled all of this using multi-body solids in the orientation I wanted and then pushed out the assembly.

But I don't think you are there yet.

No, I don't think so either.. 😉

But just to be sure, following your way, I don't end up with a Assembly .iam file, but with a Part .ipt file that has the holes in it from the combine function.

Right?

Message 19 of 34
JDMather

The real world ends with an assembly.

I would end with an assembly created from the "pushed out" derived parts.  (Manage tab>Make Components)

I suspect there is a tutorial covering the multi-body solids and Make Components in the Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials.

I know there is a tutorial covering this technique on my website (Vacuum Tutorial).

Message 20 of 34
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Squawk,

I have 2 solutions for you try, in order to help you get these parts constrained how you'd like:

1) Edit each of your parts and use the Move Body tool re-center them on the origin, then you can use the origin planes to create assembly constraints:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/06/change-origin-of-imported-model.html

We do this a lot when we import parts that are off center, but you should be able to use the same trick to re-center your parts.

OR

2) Since your parts aren't centered about the the origin planes, you can create your own work planes to use to create assembly constraints:

• Start by creating work axes using the cylindical faces.
  • Then use those work axes to create a work plane.

(my version of the drone model)

Autodesk Inventor Work Axis Plane.png

• Repeat for the other side:

Autodesk Inventor Work Axis Plane 001.png

• Next create centered work plane by selecting the first two planes. The 2 planes define the new midplane:

Autodesk Inventor Work Axis Plane 002.png

• Do the same for the direction, and you should then have more than enough work planes to work with in this part:

Autodesk Inventor Work Axis Plane 003.png

• It might help to right click on some of the planes and turn them off, just to reduce the clutter:Autodesk Inventor Work Plane 007.png

Open the foam part and create work planes in the center by selecting midpoints along the edges. 3 points make a plane:

Autodesk Inventor Work Plane 004.png

• Same thing for the other direction:

Autodesk Inventor Work Plane 005.png

• You'll end up with this:

Autodesk Inventor Work Plane 006.png

Now you can mate/flush these planes together in the assembly. If a mate flips the model, then try a flush.

Here's a link with some "how to create work planes" vidoes:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-80FC6839-D432-4E7E-85C6-0F77E9AEDCC7

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report